Options

First times the charm!

ScottyCameronScottyCameron Registered Users 188 Posts
Just completed the Legend Playoff for the first time. I won the series 4-3. My lineup was 4-4*, 3-4.5*, 1-5* + franchise player. Have Greinke at ace and Hendricks at #2. The other 3 starters were 4* pitchers.

I blew up Kershaw in game 1, dropped the next two and won game 4. Lost a nail biter in game 5 then won the final 2! I guess I'm surprised that it took only one turn. At the time I had all upgrades at 7 except hitting and fielding upgraded to 8.

I blew up Kenley Jansen and Koji for blown saves and losses. Total of 6 blown saves and 3 losses by the duo in the 7 games.

Is beating legends playoff the first go around the norm? I can't imagine after 75 more wins they will put up any match at all as I'm now just another event away from being fully upgraded and my lineup is all 4.5 & 5 star hitters.

Comments

• Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Congrats Scotty

Job well done! I too have hammered Koji on many occassions, not so much Jansen. In my opinion, Koji throws too many strikes to be effective against a good hitter.

Go get them again!!!
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Wow. Congrats on beating them on your first try. You definetly are the exception to the rule. I think it took everyone multiple tries to get that first series win. As your team improves and your upgrades, it is not to uncommon to beat them the first series. But the very first time took me a long time to beat. But that was ages ago and a whole different pitching staff from the legends. Lol. Great job!!

Lawman, I actually just drafted Koji last week, and was indifferent on what to do with him. Because I agree he is very hittable. I have Kershaw too and have seen the results. Against the computer, Koji's era is very low. But he does get hit by human players. I found by sticking him in the 7th has worked quite well. Maybe it throws human players off seeing him that early, or people are not so geared up in the 7th as they are on their last gasp in the 9th. But it seems to have worked for the time being. In 63 innings he has given up 9 runs for an 1.29 era. I'll see how long that lasts.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    That's a great idea putting him in as a set up man. Can't argue with that ERA!

I just dropped G. Perkins into the recycle bin, despite his great rating. Yeah, he did great against the computer, but I spend 98% of my time playing against humans, and he had a 3.17 ERA. I put Grilli in his spot, and he's done much better.
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    Congrats Scotty,

Beating legend team is one of the hardest milestone in this game. You must be very good at batting because one of my friend has the same lineup as yours but he tries several times without a success(then he quits).

Last night I sweep out the legend team again, I don't quite remember how many time I beat them but the score for last night are
    18:2 vs Kershaw (I score 8 points from Kershaw in 1,2,3 innings.)
    15:8 vs Garner(I score 10 points from Garner in 1,2,3,4 innings)
    10:7 vs Sale( I score 7 points from Sale in 1,2 innings)
    22:5 vs Cueto(I score 7 points from Cueto but it is not his bad. The legend team has a critical error when base is loaded)

Amused,
    My recommendation is to use KOJI at key situation. The key situation is that you lead by 1 and the next inning is the last inning of this game.
    I studied and did some experiments two weeks about the pitch calling effect but I somehow realize my assumption is too simple.
    The track of the ball in following two graphs are KOJI's famous moving fast ball. This kind of ball will suddenly fall when it reaches the base. Sometimes The ball will fall near the edge of the base and it is hard to get hits for such kind of breaking.
    (1) moving fast ball falls at left edge of the base
    moving_fast1_zps7a68c677.jpg
    (2) moving fast ball falls at the right edge of the base
    moving_fast2_zps0128ab8d.jpg

I was wondering about whether the pitch calling thing affect this kind of breaking. It is very hard for me to determine I should swing or not because the ball could fall out of the strike zone.

To study the pitch calling upgrade level things, I turn to use my another team which is in semi-PRO level and upgrade its pitch calling to see if I can see some differences for this kind of breaking.

I only record the numbers on curve ball and slider which will pass the edge of the base.(It is the same thing as what I mention above)

I record this for only two games.
    When upgrade level is 3 and I can see this kind of breaking for 26 times
    When upgrade level is 4 and I can see this kind of breaking for 25 times
    When upgrade level is 5 and I can see this kind of breaking for 30 times

The numbers just fluctuate and it seems that this two have no relation.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any difference.

BUT....... When I played with a guy who has a very strong lineup with full upgrades several days ago, the score is 3:2 and he uses KOJI to defense his lead for last inning. It is really unbelievable. Every strike from KOJI is edge falling breaking, I wait for straight fast ball but he throws none.

This reminds me to let the score be very close for the last inning and watch how this kind of breaking occurs.
    The answer is YES. If I just lead by 1 and use KOJI to be my closer, I can clearly see him throws edge falling breaking a lot.

My conclusion is that the pitching sequence will be very different for different kind of situation. It is possible for some of people say that KOJI is unhittable but some of the people say KOJI is hittable base on different scenario.
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Thanks jemic for the in depth evaluation. My only rebuttle to that is that I have faced him numerous times against the legends and other players who had high upgrades in pitching. And even being only down one run, I am still able to hit and score with a decent frequency. Not everytime, but enough to feel confident in facing him down in the 9th. I usually go up swinging away at most pitches and can string together 3-4 to tie and win the game. I can think of other relievers that I have a lot harder time scoring a run, and even getting a hit at times. Holland comes to mind. But thank you for the insight. I will monitor the score when I put him in to see if your analysis rings true.