Options

Advice: buy upgrades or keep drafting?

dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
So I just made it to Legends level, and my team is pretty decent. Only have one 5*, one 4.5* and a bunch of 4* players though. I'm not sure if this team is good enough to compete with most teams at Legend, let alone the playoffs when I get there. This is what I'm working with:

SS - Jose Reyes 7/3/9
OF - Jacoby Ellsbury 6/5/9
DH - Nelson Cruz 6/9/4
OF - Kole Calhoun 7/6/4
C - Yadier Molina 8/4/2
1B - Joey Votto 7/5/2
3B - Danny Valencia 7/5/2
OF - Coco Crisp 5/5/8
2B - Chase Utley 6/4/4

I'm starting to get sick of drafting as my last 10 first round picks were awful, and my last five #1 picks have been 3* guys. It's frustrating to say the least. Well now I have about 1500 gold saved up, 300,000 cash, and my upgrades are all at 6. I can't spend the cash on anything except bonus games really (don't think I have it in me to save up to try for a run at all players - will probably take me 2-3 months before accumulating what's needed).

What is the best way to spend the gold from now on? Keep buying #1 picks when they go on sale? Or should I now start using it exclusively on hitting and pitching upgrades? The upgrade prices are steep, so I've been hesitant to do that just yet. Basically, is this team good enough to be competitive if I get some of the upgrades to level 7-8? Or do I need to keep trying for better players? I hit a TON of singles but not many homers. I'm okay with it as long as these guys can still be decent against Legends teams...

Comments

• Options
    SD BRIXTONSSD BRIXTONS Registered Users 3 Posts
    dtrain987 wrote: »
    So I just made it to Legends level, and my team is pretty decent. Only have one 5*, one 4.5* and a bunch of 4* players though. I'm not sure if this team is good enough to compete with most teams at Legend, let alone the playoffs when I get there. This is what I'm working with:

SS - Jose Reyes 7/3/9
    OF - Jacoby Ellsbury 6/5/9
    DH - Nelson Cruz 6/9/4
    OF - Kole Calhoun 7/6/4
    C - Yadier Molina 8/4/2
    1B - Joey Votto 7/5/2
    3B - Danny Valencia 7/5/2
    OF - Coco Crisp 5/5/8
    2B - Chase Utley 6/4/4

I'm starting to get sick of drafting as my last 10 first round picks were awful, and my last five #1 picks have been 3* guys. It's frustrating to say the least. Well now I have about 1500 gold saved up, 300,000 cash, and my upgrades are all at 6. I can't spend the cash on anything except bonus games really (don't think I have it in me to save up to try for a run at all players - will probably take me 2-3 months before accumulating what's needed).

What is the best way to spend the gold from now on? Keep buying #1 picks when they go on sale? Or should I now start using it exclusively on hitting and pitching upgrades? The upgrade prices are steep, so I've been hesitant to do that just yet. Basically, is this team good enough to be competitive if I get some of the upgrades to level 7-8? Or do I need to keep trying for better players? I hit a TON of singles but not many homers. I'm okay with it as long as these guys can still be decent against Legends teams...

Invest in upgrades. Your team is decent enough to handle some legend teams. Upgrading will make your players just a little bit better. A tip that you may want to consider is to use the cash you have to purchase all of the second round drafts. That'll get rid of all the 3 and 4 star players leaving 4.5 and 5 star players in the first round and #1 draft picks. This allowed me to assemble a complete 5 star team while also upgrading. But as stated earlier, invest in upgrades as it is your best bet for now.
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    Don't waste gold on drafting anymore. Use it on upgrades. But keep in mind with only 1500 gold, you probably can only upgrade two levels and it won't make any noticeable difference.

You can use cash to buy 2nd round drafts and trade for 1st round or even #1. Or you can keep all the 2nd round picks so that your 1st/#1 would be nothing but 4.5*+ players.

You can also try 3-player pack and you may find some upgrades there. You team is decent and I like that most of your hitters are 7+ hitting. I would definitely try to replace Crisp. There are so many good OF out there and a 5 hitting is just unacceptable.
  • Options
    Clark22Clark22 Registered Users, Member 324 Posts
    Also check the player packs to spot any bargains to help upgrade your team
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Wait and see what player is offered for 750 gold in the next event. If not, upgrades are the way to go. Good luck.
  • Options
    Detroit tiggersDetroit tiggers Registered Users 53 Posts
    Here are some numbers to match solarmen's recommendation. Based on this Coco Crisp is the lowest rated player based on what is available and since Ellsbury isn't far behind it seems trying to get a better OF is a good move.

C - Yadier Molina 3rd best catcher out of 100 = top 3%
    1B - Joey Votto 13 out of 79 = 16%
    2B - Chase Utley 10/80 = 12.5%
    3B - Danny Valencia 9/163 = 5.5%
    SS - Jose Reyes 8/67 = 12%
    OF - Kole Calhoun 23/232 = 10%
    OF - Jacoby Ellsbury 44/232 = 19%
    OF - Coco Crisp 49/232 = 21%
    DH - Nelson Cruz 2/16 = 12.5%

Please note that I am ranking based on Stars 1st, then Hitting, then Power and finally Speed which is the simplest but not best way. I think switch hitters are worth a +1 in hitting. Also I would rather have Wilin Rosario at 4-stars 6/7/3 than 4.5-stars Evan Gattis at 5/9/1.
  • Options
    dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    Wow, thanks for the tips guys. Really appreciate that! I'd love to upgrade Crisp and/or Ellsbury but I haven't had much luck in terms of draft picks, even after trying a couple positional draft picks.

The 3 player packs are intriguing, especially since I could grab one with an OF, 2B and SP upgrade - LA pack comes to mind with Crawford, Dee Gordon and Dan Haren - but man, those packs are expensive. It takes me a while to rack up that much gold. Especially since I can't do the extra offers with trialpay refusing to reinstate my account.

After level 7 upgrades, what is the cost to get to level 8 and 9? It costs 1,000 gold to get to 7 - does it double to 2,000 and 4,000 for levels 8 and 9?
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    1000 level 7
    1500 level 8
    2000 level 9

On sale:
    800 level 7
    1200 level 8
    1600 level 9
  • Options
    Jays808Jays808 Registered Users 31 Posts
    Invest in upgrades. Your team is decent enough to handle some legend teams. Upgrading will make your players just a little bit better. A tip that you may want to consider is to use the cash you have to purchase all of the second round drafts. That'll get rid of all the 3 and 4 star players leaving 4.5 and 5 star players in the first round and #1 draft picks. This allowed me to assemble a complete 5 star team while also upgrading. But as stated earlier, invest in upgrades as it is your best bet for now.

How much blue cash do you need to get rid of all the 2nd round players?