Options

Trading Hit rating for Power

J.LeeJ.Lee Registered Users 146 Posts
What's everyone's thought process on swapping out a guy who has 6 hit 9 power for a guy who is 8/2 for example? My way of thinking has always been I'd rather a guy get on base with a single than risk not getting a hit in for that possible home run. I'm just curious to see at what point you all decide that the difference in hit rating is high enough to justify losing some of that power. (I always take OBP as well as RvL, LvR for example too).

Comments

• Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    That's my strategy. I will give up power for higher hitting rating. A 6 hitter is going to hit around .240 for you. And you may have more homeruns, but they are few and far between. A 9 hitter will probably be around .360 (Righty) he's getting on base at least once a game generally. And the more hits the better chance of hitting for extra bases/homerun. My team is all high hitters. Now if you get lucky and land Abreu or Tulo then the decision is made for you as they are both 9 in hitting and power. Stick with hitting. Your instinct is correct.
  • Options
    Amused_79 wrote: »
    That's my strategy. I will give up power for higher hitting rating. A 6 hitter is going to hit around .240 for you. And you may have more homeruns, but they are few and far between. A 9 hitter will probably be around .360 (Righty) he's getting on base at least once a game generally. And the more hits the better chance of hitting for extra bases/homerun. My team is all high hitters. Now if you get lucky and land Abreu or Tulo then the decision is made for you as they are both 9 in hitting and power. Stick with hitting. Your instinct is correct.

Oh yeah then you throw the guys who can hit both sides into the equation and it changes everything. Now I'm curious to see what some would give up for a guy who is a switch hitter.
  • Options
    RobotstoveRobotstove Registered Users 163 Posts
    Basically the game is weighted too heavily towards the benefits of any hit at all, so power doesn't have a chance to make a huge difference.

SLG and other stats should be looked at, but the game mechanics make it useless to care about.
    In-game name: Robotstove
    In TSB 2014: Legends, beat playoffs fourteen times (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2015: Greatest of All Time (GOAT) (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2016: Recently returned and rising!

I have come back to play TSB 2016, so you can join me and others in a general TSB 2016 chat using Discord: https://discord.gg/t9yTMgx

Look forward to chatting with everyone!
  • Options
    Robotstove wrote: »
    Basically the game is weighted too heavily towards the benefits of any hit at all, so power doesn't have a chance to make a huge difference.

SLG and other stats should be looked at, but the game mechanics make it useless to care about.

That's a good point. I do however believe they did a pretty good job with this game. For the fact it's a mobile game, I think they put a good amount of work into it.
  • Options
    BelafonteBelafonte Registered Users 3 Posts
    Lee, I agree. Hit should be the primary rating to consider for your big picture lineup construction. However, I feel the one exception is 9 Power guys. They should still be considered if you have other 7/8 hit guys throughout your lineup that can get on base. If you choose the option to optimize your lineup for righties v lefties and vice versa it will put your 9 power guys in a good spot to succeed based on my experience. If the 6/9 is your only source of high power id still strongly consider him.
  • Options
    thesheriff33thesheriff33 Registered Users 97 Posts
    Based on this, should I be benching Mark Trumbo 4/9/4 for Ozuna 6/7/3?
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts

I think this should be a no-brainer.
  • Options

I would say keep Ozuna. The difference in hit of 2 is huge in this game. A rating of 4 for hit is pretty low.
  • Options
    dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    Definitely. I can't tell you how many times I've had Nelson Cruz 6/9/4 (my only 5* hitter right now) come up with 1 out and 2 men on base and hit a hard grounder into a double play. When it's a late game situation I sub him out for Erick Aybar 7/2/7 and Jhonny Peralta 7/6/3. Even just from 6 to 7 in hitting is a huge difference in my opinion.

I have Yadier Molina 8/4/2 batting right behind Cruz and his batting average is almost 100 points higher...