Options

I'm gonna start swinging at 3-0 pitches

AnthineeAnthinee Registered Users 57 Posts
It's pretty much the only time you're guaranteed a fastball down the middle over 95%* of the time. The only thing I'm a little apprehensive about is the "Stuff" rating on the pitcher I'm facing. Is a pitcher's "Stuff" rating directly countered by the batter's "Hit" rating, or is there a deeper formula taking all ratings into account?

*I made this number up, but it feels pretty accurate or possibly even low

Comments

• Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Anthinee wrote: »
    It's pretty much the only time you're guaranteed a fastball down the middle over 95%* of the time. The only thing I'm a little apprehensive about is the "Stuff" rating on the pitcher I'm facing. Is a pitcher's "Stuff" rating directly countered by the batter's "Hit" rating, or is there a deeper formula taking all ratings into account?

*I made this number up, but it feels pretty accurate or possibly even low

I played against a guy in my club who had Prime Dickey (10 STF) and I connected on a fastball square down the middle, and popped it up in front of second base. It looked like I hit a rag soaked in water. The ball didn't go anywhere. I think it could negate the batter's Hit rating to some degree, cuz 4.5 star guys with 7-8 Hit were barely moving the ball out of the infield. It should be noted I'm not very good at playing the game. I like the managerial part of it and don't play often.
  • Options
    Cooz19 wrote: »
    I played against a guy in my club who had Prime Dickey (10 STF) and I connected on a fastball square down the middle, and popped it up in front of second base. It looked like I hit a rag soaked in water. The ball didn't go anywhere. I think it could negate the batter's Hit rating to some degree, cuz 4.5 star guys with 7-8 Hit were barely moving the ball out of the infield. It should be noted I'm not very good at playing the game. I like the managerial part of it and don't play often.

That's easily the worst part of this game. The constant slow trickle ground***** to shortstop from guys that are the best batters on my team is infuriating. I'm looking at my hitting coach and trainer ratings both over 10 and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I got mad that I was hitting so many deep fly outs to the warning track, so I built a ton of money up to buy hitting upgrades....and it literally made no positive difference at all. In fact, I could make an argument that it did more harm than good. It's infuriating and there's no explanation anywhere of how exactly these things we're buying are affecting our team. As far as I can tell, they have no effect at all.
  • Options
    If you look up the reviews for this game on third party App review sites, the complaints are the same for everyone. That's why I know it's not my "timing" that is off, it's the game mechanics.

And as far as Dickey goes, I'm sure Isaac Newton is spinning in his grave when Dickey's ridiculous knuckleball defies the laws of physics. If there were an equivalent on the offensive side, he'd be bunting 500ft homeruns.
  • Options
    RoyalsRoyals Registered Users, Member 30 Posts
    "he'd be bunting 500ft home runs" - Fantastic!

Even regular 3.5* Dickey I hate playing against. Autoplay it's fine but actually trying to hit that. I can't image the Prime Dickey. Reminds me of a Prime Boggs. Come on Glu... please give us a Prime Wade Boggs. 10/9/6 + will's his team a +2 Boost /game.
  • Options
    astrosbaseball2016astrosbaseball2016 Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    Anthinee wrote: »
    If you look up the reviews for this game on third party App review sites, the complaints are the same for everyone. That's why I know it's not my "timing" that is off, it's the game mechanics.

And as far as Dickey goes, I'm sure Isaac Newton is spinning in his grave when Dickey's ridiculous knuckleball defies the laws of physics. If there were an equivalent on the offensive side, he'd be bunting 500ft homeruns.
    It's the same as trying to do a hit and run... They don't let you make good contact
  • Options
    Royals wrote: »
    "he'd be bunting 500ft home runs" - Fantastic!

Even regular 3.5* Dickey I hate playing against. Autoplay it's fine but actually trying to hit that. I can't image the Prime Dickey. Reminds me of a Prime Boggs. Come on Glu... please give us a Prime Wade Boggs. 10/9/6 + will's his team a +2 Boost /game.

LOL Boggs ends up the only guy with a fourth attribute, WIL. 10/9/6/10

As for Dickey, yeah, the knuckleball is a bit ridiculous, but I'd argue most of these guys' breaking stuff is less realistic. A knuckleball is going to dance. The sliders and cut fast***** even the mid-level guys throw aren't any closer to reality. Again, this is probably why I don't play. Seems like lots of people are able to hit consistently, I'm not.

Auto-play, my guys seem to be noticably improved after upgrades. I think most of this is set in user ability and expectations, with all due respect. Even Trout grounds out to the shortstop.
  • Options
    FightingTrautsFightingTrauts Registered Users 34 Posts
    I 100% agree. After focusing on upgrading the pitching stats and with all of the players I've accumulated (mostly pitchers), my pitching is for the most part on point (probably cuz I can't control that) but when I play to hit, my guys aren't noticeably better at all. If I Autoplay, I tend to generate WAY more offense.

I'm starting to see more and more that the game rewards those who don't actually play and just tap through on Autoplay. No way I'd have 7 Shutouts right now if not for Autoplay. With all of the Achievements out there it'd take forever to get some of them if you weren't Autoplaying like a madman.
  • Options
    I 100% agree. After focusing on upgrading the pitching stats and with all of the players I've accumulated (mostly pitchers), my pitching is for the most part on point (probably cuz I can't control that) but when I play to hit, my guys aren't noticeably better at all. If I Autoplay, I tend to generate WAY more offense.

I'm starting to see more and more that the game rewards those who don't actually play and just tap through on Autoplay. No way I'd have 7 Shutouts right now if not for Autoplay. With all of the Achievements out there it'd take forever to get some of them if you weren't Autoplaying like a madman.

It's not the game rewarding it as much as it is just a logical conclusion. It takes far less time to auto-play a game than it does to actually play it. You get in-game rewards if you play it. You can also control when and who you bring in to pitch. Ultimately, if you're good, it seems like you can tilt the offensive scales in your favor.
  • Options
    What are the in-game rewards? This game is terrible about lining these things out for you. Right now, my offensive side of the house is so bad, and every time I get a draft pick it's a pitcher pretty much. I'll just spend 9 innings doing ground-outs and pop flies with the occasional HR mixed in.

I feel like I've got a handle on the patience aspect too waiting for the dream pitch down the pipe and yet I still fly/ground out more than should be allowed.
  • Options
    What are the in-game rewards? This game is terrible about lining these things out for you. Right now, my offensive side of the house is so bad, and every time I get a draft pick it's a pitcher pretty much. I'll just spend 9 innings doing ground-outs and pop flies with the occasional HR mixed in.

I feel like I've got a handle on the patience aspect too waiting for the dream pitch down the pipe and yet I still fly/ground out more than should be allowed.

You get cash between innings, I think. Don't you?

I ran into the same issue you're describing, and frankly, I just lost patience. Not saying it's bad or broken, I just know I'm not very good at it, and it seems like I'd have to work for far too long to get better. This is just a fun distraction, it's not something I want to invest a considerable amount of time in, so I just auto-play. Some people want to play the game live. It's designed so users can have a choice.
  • Options
    I agree, it's just totally to my advantage to Autoplay if I want to win, get a streak, get achievements. I get cash between innings playing someone whether I autoplay or not. It's only $100/inning. You'd think they'd tailor the game the opposite way in that you'd do better if you actually played instead of just a game that you press buttons and hope for the best. Makes the game WAY less fun if you actually enjoy trying to hit. I guess "Tap Sports" means to Tap the Autoplay button instead of tapping the screen to hit...