Options

What is a Long Reliever

MvpdonaldsonMvpdonaldson Registered Users 146 Posts
Does anyone have any insight into how the LR positions work? I have had Givens since like April and I have left him in since hes a rare Long Reliever. I just got Soria and Robertson this weekend, and I am trying to decide whether to leave Givens or to use Robertson to replace him. Robertson has really excellent stats, but he isnt a LR, so I am curious if the game will leave him in too long during autosims, or if it will it make no difference.

TL;DR: Am i better off with a 4.5 star LR or a 5 star SR at the Long Reliever position.

PS: Since RP1 and RP2 are also both technically LR positions, I am curious how GLU expects us all to have 3 Yimi Garcia's to compete.

Comments

• Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    A long reliever seems to be the guy who pitches if your starter gets knocked out in the 5th inning or earlier. He's also the guy who most often fulfills the "Guaranteed one 4.5 star or better!" condition of the multi-draft pack. He has essentially no value at all above a certain level -- if your ace gets battered in the first three innings, what's bringing in that clown gonna do?

The biggest value seems to be that the long reliever will be able to throw for more than one inning. I hadn't really thought of it, but if your starter gets crushed and you have a short-reliever in the long role, you're going to go through your entire bullpen. If a long reliever can go three innings without falling apart, you can get to your set-up and closer if you manage to fight back. This seems to have more value if you're playing manually.

Again, I doubt it matters, considering the long-reliever is only in there if your starter gets lit up, and it's all on your hitters at that point anyway. Just my quasi-bitter $0.02.
  • Options
    Cooz19 wrote: »
    A long reliever seems to be the guy who pitches if your starter gets knocked out in the 5th inning or earlier. He's also the guy who most often fulfills the "Guaranteed one 4.5 star or better!" condition of the multi-draft pack. He has essentially no value at all above a certain level -- if your ace gets battered in the first three innings, what's bringing in that clown gonna do?

The biggest value seems to be that the long reliever will be able to throw for more than one inning. I hadn't really thought of it, but if your starter gets crushed and you have a short-reliever in the long role, you're going to go through your entire bullpen. If a long reliever can go three innings without falling apart, you can get to your set-up and closer if you manage to fight back. This seems to have more value if you're playing manually.

Again, I doubt it matters, considering the long-reliever is only in there if your starter gets lit up, and it's all on your hitters at that point anyway. Just my quasi-bitter $0.02.

I hadn't thought of it that way. The reason I bring this up at all, is that I have seen people use David Robertson as their closer instead of the Prime Francisco Rodriguez. Now they could have just been clowns, but I lean more towards thinking hes actually a pretty decent non-prime pitcher, and I want to ensure he gets more playing time than the useless Wade Davis and the even more useless Shawn Tolleson. God I cannot wait for Axford so I can get rid of one of those two.

Also, as another question, Ubaldo or Arrieta? Anyone got some input on who makes the cut?
  • Options
    aTownDownaTownDown Registered Users 271 Posts
    I hadn't thought of it that way. The reason I bring this up at all, is that I have seen people use David Robertson as their closer instead of the Prime Francisco Rodriguez. Now they could have just been clowns, but I lean more towards thinking hes actually a pretty decent non-prime pitcher, and I want to ensure he gets more playing time than the useless Wade Davis and the even more useless Shawn Tolleson. God I cannot wait for Axford so I can get rid of one of those two.

Also, as another question, Ubaldo or Arrieta? Anyone got some input on who makes the cut?
    I've got Jimenez and Arrieta and I start Arrieta, both are good options but Arrieta is much more consistent.
  • Options
    aTownDown wrote: »
    I've got Jimenez and Arrieta and I start Arrieta, both are good options but Arrieta is much more consistent.

LOL i was in the middle of messaging you to ask you this very question. I figured you would have had both.

Edit: It might also help to have Arrieta in to avoid auto-promotion.
  • Options
    I hadn't thought of it that way. The reason I bring this up at all, is that I have seen people use David Robertson as their closer instead of the Prime Francisco Rodriguez. Now they could have just been clowns, but I lean more towards thinking hes actually a pretty decent non-prime pitcher

Just a shot in the dark, but could it be done in an effort to keep their ranking lower than it would be if they started Rodriguez?
  • Options
    Just a shot in the dark, but could it be done in an effort to keep their ranking lower than it would be if they started Rodriguez?

Oh no, I meant they had Rodriguez as SM and Robertson as their closer. I saw like 4-5 people doing it.
  • Options
    Weird. Yeah, morons maybe. F-Rod isn't a set-up guy, I don't care which arm he throws with.
  • Options
    Weird. Yeah, morons maybe. F-Rod isn't a set-up guy, I don't care which arm he throws with.

I mean, hes wouldn't be mine either. Soria and Kimbrel are both better.
  • Options
    I mean, hes wouldn't be mine either. Soria and Kimbrel are both better.

Right, I mean generally you're best short relief pitcher is your closer.

If you'd like to send either of them my way, I'd appreciate it.
  • Options
    Right, I mean generally you're best short relief pitcher is your closer.

If you'd like to send either of them my way, I'd appreciate it.

Haha well they cost a pretty penny, Kimbrel was a 20k and Soria wasnt a cheap trade.

Basically the whole point I was trying to glean from this was where you would put your third best reliever. Robertson is my new third best reliever and I was curious where he would get the most playing time.