Options

Walk-Off Helpful Hints

snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
I am gold level 6. I have a prime Judge. His overall capped in gold is 243. He is 258 boosted. I went 0-13 against Scherzer. Happened to me last week with Verlander. Are there any hints to this event? I am not understanding why he can’t get past these pitchers that are below his rank. 

Comments

• Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Ideally, try to match up with the pitchers. Against Verlander or Max, for example, you'd want to use your best lefty bat. This, of course, assumes that your best lefty bad isn't considerably worse than your right handed options. Be patient. Wait on the fastballs. Often, you will have to swing at change ups. Anything is better than the curves. If you get curves to three different batters, just accept that it wasn't meant to be. When things don't go well, do your best to avoid being overly frustrated. You can get to 5.10 so obviously, you know what you're doing. Sometimes, just being more relaxed is the difference between glory and heartache. Good luck man!
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    edited July 2018
    I finally broke through yesterday and won Trout (I wish he didn’t play the outfield because a really good player is finding the bench but I digress).  But still went a total of 1-12, 0-6 or I would have finished a second cycle and yeah fastball and changeups are about all I was able to hit off of Scherzer it got to be painful.  Also yeah I’m sure you’re aware of abusing L/R matchups my best LH bat is Harper at 169 so I got carried by my PotW.
  • Options
    Spyder1Spyder1 Registered Users, Member 22 Posts
    So is the key to it matching left vs right instead of Hitting vs stuff??

I have a fairly solid team but can't seem to every get passed round 1 or 2. I hit into line drives, back to the pitcher, double plays or just basic pop flys to the outfield.

Any other tips you can give. I absolutely LOATHE walk-off hero right now.
  • Options
    Spyder1 said:

I have a fairly solid team but can't seem to every get passed round 1 or 2. I hit into line drives, back to the pitcher, double plays or just basic pop flys to the outfield.

Can you show your team? I can tell you how I'd play it.
  • Options
    ExposMontrealExposMontreal Registered Users, Member 242 Posts
    I'm Platinum and I always reach the last round, I don't have any BIG hitters, the best I have is only 222 OV, but I manage to get to that point by doing exactly what @DFBB said, I still can't cycle at Platinum but I feel like if I get one Power hitter i'll be good
    ExposMontreal - 71K Strenght - Silver V
    “There was always something missing in Montreal.” – Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    I went 0-10 vs Scherzer this past week, now if I can just get my hands on 90k Prime xp to cap Bam Bam that would be swell.
  • Options
    PaxtinPaxtin Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
    Matchups and wait for fastballs. Once the breaking balls start happening you are pretty much in trouble. 
  • Options
    demise44demise44 Registered Users, Member 43 Posts
    Walk-off hero is a love/hate relationship for me, but most times I look forward to cycling it. 

My strategy is to use the opposite handed batter in relation to the pitcher. After the batter is set up, I wait on the fastball. If pitch starts out with a fastball, generally the entire at-bat will be fastballs. However, if it starts out with a slider or change-up, the at-bat will be a toss up and could be any pitch. Finally, when the at-bat starts with a breaking ball, you’ll get nothing but breaking balls as that is a predetermined out. Now, with that being said, I’ve had success against the curve balls, and even hit a home run against the curve on stage 5.10, but it helps to have the opposite handedness batter. Overall, just wait for the fastball and time it as you are playing slugfest.

hope this helps...
  • Options
    DFBB said:

Spyder1 said:

Can you show your team? I can tell you how I'd play it.
    My team:

• Options
    @Spyder1 Your team is definitely good enough to reach level 5. With some persistence, you can even reach 5.9-5.10. Always play the lefty/righty match up and practice hitting the ball the other way(late). If you haven't already done so, max out your legend(vs rhp/ops/switch hitter). Your best player is Melky so max out his pennants when you get a chance. The players are definitely there. A potw/potm would go a long ways and could honestly help you clear it. That said, just practice and practice. Don't swing at curves. Sit on fastballs. Hit them late(the other way).
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    fu.ck, i can't even get out of round 3. Melky hits into ground balls almost 100% of the time. My legend is maxed out silver as well. Overall 145, Hitting 166. he does somewhat well, but thats it.

How late is late. Do i swing when the ball is over the plate, at the plate, at the dirt? Do i hold down on my screen, does that give more power?

Do i need to tap a certain part or section of the screen?

I'm beast at slugfest, but that's it.
  • Options
    I'm lucky to even get to round 3 half of the time honestly. Clearly i have no idea when to hit the ball
  • Options
    @Spyder1 I really just think you need to practice. Try different things. You'll get there man!
  • Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @Spyder1 as far as your question about holding down or hitting a part of the screen goes thent the answer would be no. The app is not pressure sensitive so just a simple tap on any part of the screen would do. Having said that I can't tell you how sore my thumb gets on Mondays and Wednesdays tapping as hard as I can. Psychological effect I guess.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Also as @demise44 pointed out on some at bats you will get nothing but breaking or curve balls that will often be impossible to connect with for a hit. There are certain times where you can tell after the 1st pitch if the subsequent pitches will be the same. I would try to hit them anyway even if I know it will lead to a grounder or flyout as sometimes you could get an error out of them and reach base anyway. 
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    jhambombsquadjhambombsquad Registered Users, Member 48 Posts
    Very late swings work well for me...I get to the last round each week...42,12 and 6 points away from finishing this week.  Frustrating
  • Options
    demise44demise44 Registered Users, Member 43 Posts
    Honestly, no matter which batter you chose to face the last three pitchers in round 5, sometimes you just get unlucky with the pitch selection. With that being said, If you are facing Max Scherzer and use a left-handed batter, you can actually hit his breaking pitches with greater success, GREATER, not great.
  • Options
    I currently lack the elite LH bat so in two weeks I’m an ungodly 1 win in 22 attempts vs Scherzer with PotWs Arenado (1-12 yay first win), Baez (0-10 much sadness) but trying to sit on the fastball is the hope.  Like others have said if it’s a parade of off-speed pitches you’re going to have a bad time, changeups can be hit but typically you just hit a weak fly ball, curves I did hit one home run off a curveball but it’s awful and sliders, well the feeling of dread as the ball sweeps the plate yeah I’ve almost thrown the phone a few times.
  • Options
    mtknapp12mtknapp12 Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    Yeah I usually cycle through once a week. Gotta do your best to get left VS right. But lately I’ve had “great success” (in my borat voice) using maxed out PotW. Even if he’s a righty.. 2017 I got prime Harper with walkoff boost and he got me to the promise land every week. LEFTY HITTER IS KEY!!
  • Options
    LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
    mtknapp12 said:

Yeah I usually cycle through once a week. Gotta do your best to get left VS right. But lately I’ve had “great success” (in my borat voice) using maxed out PotW. Even if he’s a righty.. 2017 I got prime Harper with walkoff boost and he got me to the promise land every week. LEFTY HITTER IS KEY!!

Having a strong lefty is key, but the biggest deciding factor is the sequence of pitches that you happen to be thrown. I have maxed out lefty Legend McGriff (arguably one of the best lefties released), and I went something like 0 for 17 against Scherzer. I had cycled the previously 4 weeks on just one or two tries, because I happened to get a good sequence of pitches. Last week, even though I have an amazing lefty, I just couldn't get the right pitches to get the job done.
    Proud TSB VIP!