Options

Honestly-- How hard is it to get a good team without spending money?

gigispeed1332gigispeed1332 Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
I am just wondering what kind of grind I am putting myself through or is it even possible to get a great team without spending money? I have started playing about a month ago and it seemed at the beginning I was starting to improve my team, but not much since. I haven't bought any packs, just been getting whatever I get as a reward. Am I going to be banging my head against the wall at some point? Anyone have any tricks to getting some great players that would help a newbie? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @gigispeed1332 It is hard to get premium players from rewards so a little bit of spending would be needed. If you just started about a month ago then Slugfest would be pretty much out of reach for you and so Prime XP will be your main concern which means that any Prime players you get would be real hard to level up.

That being said it is still possible to have a lot of fun with 4.5* and 5* players that you could get lucky and pull from the free boxes and event rewards.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    You can definitely have a nice team w/o spending cash, BUT it won't happen unless you invest a considerable amount of time. I've spent very little cash. I love the game and if I didn't have the time, I'd certainly put some money into it. As is, you'd be hard press to find guys that spend more time on the game.

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    OakGroveRcktsOakGroveRckts Registered Users, Member 71 Posts
    @gigispeed1332 Do yourself a favor and delete the app now.
  • Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    Best advice I can give is find a good club that gets top tier each event and competes for top 25. You take the freebies the game gives and the rewards from events to build up your team. You will build up pretty quick. Save your gold for a while too. You will need it! If you can save up a pile of it to use during fan rewards you will be guaranteed good players. You are late to the party so odds of beating things like WOH and Slugfest are near 0%. So get as far as you can to get the rewards and don't waste your gold or money thinking you can get farther. You can't. Hopefully you will land a bonus player here and there to help your club. Just play daily and your club should be happy with that. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    razorback24razorback24 Registered Users, Member 42 Posts
    Just get you some credit cards and max away!!
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    You’re a bit late into things but gifts and things will help you catch up a little bit, don’t be in a hurry to level up.  Unlike most games leveling up too early can hurt you more than help you.  If you don’t mind watching ads I’d suggest watching plenty of videos to help you build up some gold to buy better players later.  Also, joining a decent club will help out a bit too.

• Options
    miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    Don't listen to these Debbie Downers, @gigispeed1332

This all depends on what you consider to be a great team. If you're looking for a team like some of these guys with maxed out Legends at every position and Prime players locked in their inactives just in case they're super bonus guys in an event, you're going to need a second mortgage on your house, some sort of hack that you won't talk about and won't get you jailed, or drug money from cooking a few pounds of meth. 

On the other hand, if you consider a great team to be one that wins 85% of their games, has a bevy of decent players surrounding a core of top-notch player, and can compete reasonably well in all of the events throughout the week, you can certainly achieve that without spending a dime. You'll have to put up with ridiculously annoying ads at the worst times. But, you're probably already used to that. 

To give you an example, I started the game over again at the beginning of July. I had a Gold Team that was stuck in the mud and not improving despite spending some money on it. I had gotten Glu'd out of Fan Rewards that cost me money to achieve. I couldn't play Slugfest at all. So, I harkened back to the days when I actually enjoyed the game the most, which was when I was first starting out and building my roster. 

On this new team, I haven't spent a penny. The ads are still active. Right now, that team is a Silver Level with a team rating of 72k and slugger rating of 35k. 

I know there are Silver teams out there with higher ratings for both. I've seen a few Silver teams with ratings pushing 90k and 38k. Good for them. I love looking at their profile screens and pining over their 4 top Legends that'll eventually require them to pawn their sister's makeup mirror to maintain if they ever decide to go to Gold.

But, I'm quite happy with how good my team is at the moment. Yes, I wish I wouldn't be getting constantly Glu'd with manipulated outcomes to box pulls and draft picks.

At the same time, I can usually put together 40+ game winning streaks in Prime events without much challenge. Sometimes, I can push that to 60 if I skip my SP5 who is a lowly 5 star Grienke. Until recently, I was routinely in the running to cycle Walk Off on any given Monday. I cycle Slugfest every week to the point that the only guys who get to bat for me are Prime Slugger, all of whom are maxed by virtue of the Prime XP I collect every week. 

Just about the only thing I wish I could improve on my team at the moment would be a couple starters who are regular 5 stars instead of Primes or boosted 5 stars. But, when 5 star Carlos Correa is your worst player on the roster and you haven't spent any money at all, I probably shouldn't complain as much as I do. 
  • Options
    whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    edited September 2018
    I was going to answer the question but forgot why I was here while reading miggyrising’s book.... I mean post
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • Options
    miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    @whynot I'm glad you read the whole book. You must have enjoyed it. I know I routinely stop reading books I don't enjoy. 
  • Options
    gusfringgusfring Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    Start watching Gold videos, join a good club which will yield good rewards, and make sure you play in the club versus club event. You will be able to get a good team without spending any cash.
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Never spent a penny and have a 90K+ team.  Yeah, it's possible.
  • Options
    marc8282marc8282 Registered Users, Member 20 Posts
    I would say it is not hard, just depends on what you think is great. It also helps if you have a club that is cool with helping you build a team. You can get good club rewards to help build