Options

Tapping on a limited budget

Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
Here's some tips for new players who want to succeed in this game, but can't or won't spend like the VIPs.

1 -  Take your time leveling up!  Nothing will kill the fun faster than racing to Platinum when all your players are still Silver and you have no resources to level them.  It was months before I considered going beyond Silver.

2 - Build your Slugger team first.  I can't emphasize enough -- as backwards as it seems,  build your slugger team first.  At least get 10 good ones maxed out.  Once you can cycle regularly, you pretty much have access to as much Prime XP as you can earn on Wednesday.  Disclaimer:  This tip was a lot more useful before they turned Wednesday into a Royale day and added the 7th level, but it can still be done.  I still add 18,500 Prime XP through Slugfest each Wednesday.

3 - Videos!  Video gold adds up faster than you think, especially on the rare double gold video days.  It doesn't need to be a big time suck or chore, just when you're doing something else anyway like just sitting watching TV, put your phone to work for you and keep hitting the watch video button.

4 - Offers.  If you're not looking to spend, your focus should be on the major games that reward several thousand gold, and you should only do these when offers are 2X.  Most of these games are actually fairly similar, and once you understand one you pick up the rest fairly easily.  They can all be accomplished within the alloted timeframe without spending.  Disclaimer:  You are rolling the dice.  I've generally had success getting paid out immediately on these until recently, but if you don't, prepare for long waits to hear back on your ticket and ongoing battles with TapJoy.

5.  Probably most importantly, be efficient and disciplined, about ALL your major resources.  This means:  

-  Even if I beat this level of Walkoff Hero, is the reward worth spending 5,000 gold on restarts?  Everyone needs to spend gold leveling players up,  that's unavoidable, but doing it during a fan rewards event can put your gold to work for you.  

-  Is it really worth burning through all my ice wraps just because I have a bonus player just to get my club from 78th to 32nd?

-  Do I really want to use 25,000 prime XP for this guy's bases loaded skill boost that will rarely ever apply?

Those are just examples.  The list goes on, but I believe efficiency is such a key to this game.

Hope some of these genuinely help!

Comments

• Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Great piece @Wicked0Wildcats. Some sound advice and most helpful. Thank you. 
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    Houmy said:
    Great piece @Wicked0Wildcats. Some sound advice and most helpful. Thank you. 
    Thanks Houmy.  Glad to help if anyone can benefit.  I think too many people fall into the trap of believing you can't field a great TSB team if you don't spend big. 

You absolutely can, it just takes creativity.
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
     Very nice list of tips.
    I would encourage everyone to add some more tips to this thread so that a lot of people can benefit
  • Options
    Dmoney644Dmoney644 Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    Great tips been playing for about 3-4 months now, just wish i stumbled across this post then lol I'm feeling some of those growing pains. I'm like platinum level 6 and having trouble winning bonus games and seasongames at about what seems to be about 40%/60% win to loss ratio at best. Team strength is 72000 but, slugfest, i can't get past the 3rd round nowadays. 

One tip i would also say in WOH is to auto play your heart out. Play the rounds when it cost gold to autoplay, but last Monday, i believe i earned over 500 late and 2nd round draft picks being about 20k in xp and earned about 150 bonus games. Gotta have some cash built up to auto play that much, but can definitely help you out in some areas.
  • Options
    ThumbstersThumbsters Registered Users, Member 267 Posts
    Dmoney644 said:
    Great tips been playing for about 3-4 months now, just wish i stumbled across this post then lol I'm feeling some of those growing pains. I'm like platinum level 6 and having trouble winning bonus games and seasongames at about what seems to be about 40%/60% win to loss ratio at best. Team strength is 72000 but, slugfest, i can't get past the 3rd round nowadays. 

One tip i would also say in WOH is to auto play your heart out. Play the rounds when it cost gold to autoplay, but last Monday, i believe i earned over 500 late and 2nd round draft picks being about 20k in xp and earned about 150 bonus games. Gotta have some cash built up to auto play that much, but can definitely help you out in some areas.
    @Dmoney644  you can build blue cash in Homerun Battles (risk/reward) & donate to your club to earn loyalty points—Loyalty points can be spent on Club Loyalty Boxes, these typically reward you with a decent chunk of blue cash. There a couple of discounted Club Loyalty Boxes available every 24 hours...I always grab the 2 boxes made available to me.
  • Options
    HuskerHusker Registered Users, Member 111 Posts
    Great tips and useful for everyone, not just those on a tight budget. I’d add to be aware of what you are getting when you spend resources, i.e., is it worth spending xp, regular prime or legend, because you pulled a new player that is going to improve the position from max 420 to max 435 - chances are you can get more bang for your buck by upgrading elsewhere. Of course if your team is righty heavy and the new guy is LH it has a valuable skill, you have to consider that too. If it’s a bonus guy for an event, and he isn’t going to make your lineup, level him up only as far as needed to help your club/earn bonus points. I always carry enough prime xp to level 2 players to silver 10 for WOH, Royale and weekend events. I only use what I earn above that to level guys I’m looking to keep up - by I am very event focused. That’s another thing - are you focusing on events and club points or building the best team possible? Creativity and strategy is important. When I got my first legend I started leveling him up because I was excited, then realized he wasn’t a long term solution. I still wish I had that xp back, and it was only like 15k.