Options

Marriage Help - WOH grounds for divorce

Numb3rsNumb3rs Registered Users, Member 20 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster.
What am I doing wrong? I have, what I thought, was a strong enough team team to cycle. Yet I have only been able to, in the entirety of the game beat WOH twice - the 2 Wednesdays after black friday. Since then i don't really get near. All upgrades are maxed, skills all at least 8. I thought the holiday trout would help. He doesnt. And now knowing there are better options out there is a real kick in the teeth. Thanks in advance and hope you're all having a better boxing day than me (currently 0-8 on 4.10)

Comments

• Options
    jpuck6190jpuck6190 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    With that yelich and trout you shouldnt have an issue that equals my top 2 hitters... i usually use 80 gold boost on 5.10 for insurance. And i always save my video restart for 5.10.

maybe the games way of telling you to go to gold... i was still silver around 6500 wins and had only cycled once or twice. Since ive been gold i cycle regularly now. Im at 8500 wins
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Silver is considerably tougher than gold, but I'm curious to see what your bonus skills are at for Yelich and Trout.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    Numb3rsNumb3rs Registered Users, Member 20 Posts
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Both skills for trout and yelich are 10/20.
    I'm only at silver 3. I started playing bonus games to get into a position to go gold and am getting my ass handed to me. Constantly playing gold teams who ate kicking my ass. I'm starting to think I made the mistake of levelling up too slowly! It's going to be a long slog
  • Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    Numb3rs said:
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Both skills for trout and yelich are 10/20.
    I'm only at silver 3. I started playing bonus games to get into a position to go gold and am getting my ass handed to me. Constantly playing gold teams who ate kicking my ass. I'm starting to think I made the mistake of levelling up too slowly! It's going to be a long slog
    Bonus games in Silver are a struggle... and WOH is too. I find it easier for both at Gold level. But if you decide to go gold... make sure you have the resources to level up at least your best 4 hitters to Gold 10 immediately. Worry about pitchers later. But it will be a grind if you light on resources to build up the strength. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    I think it becomes sandbagged against you if you stay at one level for too long. I’ve been at silver for much of the year and I cycled WOH some months ago. I’m lucky to get to level 5 round 9 now and my hitters are better than when I beat the event.
  • Options
    effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    The pitchers are much better now too. The guy I used to beat WOH for the first time got traded in months ago. You need to cycle walk off to get the best players and you need the best players to cycle walk off. I think that’s just the evolution of the game. 
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    The only silver lining (no pun intended) is that if you managed to pull someone great you’ll likely be able plug him in right away.
  • Options
    Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    edited December 2018
    The pitchers are much better now too. The guy I used to beat WOH for the first time got traded in months ago. You need to cycle walk off to get the best players and you need the best players to cycle walk off. I think that’s just the evolution of the game. 
    This is the main thing IMO.  A month or two ago, my 435 max guys, the Signature Segura and free agency Bryce Harper types could get the job done.  

Now these guys are inactive and wouldn't be very useful after 5-6.  The new benchmark is the high 400s and in a few weeks it will likely be the low 500s, we're probably not far from seeing 520-530 legends with ATGs getting boosted to 540-550. 

It's hard to continue cycling if you fall behind the curve.   My advice to anyone who has and is falling short would be to invest in a gamechanger/POTW, preferably two.  

Yeah, it sucks having to go after a temporary player, but these guys are much easier to pull and are much cheaper to level up and max out.  If they can win you WOH, you can start catching up again.  

The biggest mistake I see people make time and time again is just letting their frustration get the best of them (been guilty of this myself before) and just purchasing restart after restart.  Suddenly you're 5-6K gold down the drain with zero to show for it.  If you're investing that much without winning, you simply aren't good enough to cycle without just getting lucky.  You'd have been much better off putting that gold into gamechangers and at least given yourself a better shot.

The only time I ever purchase restarts, is if it is very late in the event and I know for a fact my player is good enough to beat it and I just didn't get lucky.  That's the only case where I can justify the risk/reward and of a couple continues and even then I'll limit it to 2 or 3 by which point I've usually pulled it off anyway.
  • Options
    cubschampions2016cubschampions2016 Registered Users, Member 117 Posts
    This is the main thing IMO.  A month or two ago, my 435 max guys, the Signature Segura and free agency Bryce Harper types could get the job done.  

Now these guys are inactive and wouldn't be very useful after 5-6.  The new benchmark is the high 400s and in a few weeks it will likely be the low 500s, we're probably not far from seeing 520-530 legends with ATGs getting boosted to 540-550. 

It's hard to continue cycling if you fall behind the curve.   My advice to anyone who has and is falling short would be to invest in a gamechanger/POTW, preferably two.  

Yeah, it sucks having to go after a temporary player, but these guys are much easier to pull and are much cheaper to level up and max out.  If they can win you WOH, you can start catching up again.  

The biggest mistake I see people make time and time again is just letting their frustration get the best of them (been guilty of this myself before) and just purchasing restart after restart.  Suddenly you're 5-6K gold down the drain with zero to show for it.  If you're investing that much without winning, you simply aren't good enough to cycle without just getting lucky.  You'd have been much better off putting that gold into gamechangers and at least given yourself a better shot.

The only time I ever purchase restarts, is if it is very late in the event and I know for a fact my player is good enough to beat it and I just didn't get lucky.  That's the only case where I can justify the risk/reward and of a couple continues and even then I'll limit it to 2 or 3 by which point I've usually pulled it off anyway.
    Kind of funny that I couldn’t beat WOH at that time but can now. It still takes like 3k-4K gold but I beat it. My best guys are living legends altuve and lindor, and 2 skill prime votto. My team has changed a lot though from like a month ago when I started beating woh. Reggie Jackson 480 legend is the only one I have from that time(I beat it for the first time ever with him at 5-10) 
  • Options
    fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    But really @Wicked0Wildcats, isn’t WoH really about just getting lucky with pitch sequence? The skill portion of this once fine event has now been lost. Most guys on here can cycle easily, if not for that sweeping curve and biting slider that no one can hit...
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited December 2018
    Just to put in perspective how much the difficulty has been ramped up- the guy who's on 4.10 now (Sig Maeda) not long ago was the 5.10 guy and everyone - myself included - complaining about how unbeatable he was.
  • Options
    effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    I’ve found that the better your batter matches up, the better your pitch sequence is. That being said, they definitely change the difficulty throughout the day. Sometimes I’ll cycle several times early and then struggle as the day goes on. Sometimes I get nothing but breaking balls early and more fastballs and cycle more later regardless of my hitter. For 5-10 I use ATG Mays against lefties and BF yelich against righties both are maxed out so matchup is not an issue. Sometimes a round will be unbeatable and sometimes you can do it on 6 straight heaters. 
  • Options
    Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    fahhq2 said:
    But really @Wicked0Wildcats, isn’t WoH really about just getting lucky with pitch sequence? The skill portion of this once fine event has now been lost. Most guys on here can cycle easily, if not for that sweeping curve and biting slider that no one can hit...
    Yes and no.  It isn't just about that, but it's part of it.  I think what people often miss is that the pitch sequence is by design based on the matchup and ratings.  The greater your advantage against the pitcher, the more hittable pitches you see. No amount of advantage, of course, 100% guarantees a win,  but it's all working for or against your odds.

In most cases now,  it's not enough to simply have a good hitter on 5-10.  You may need a hitter with at least one active skill, maybe even two, and sometimes even an additional gold boost.

You are right to say that arcade type skill plays a very small role in WOH, though.

• Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    fahhq2 said:

I've been preaching this for awhile now, but you create your own 'luck' with the batters you use. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.