Options

Skill boosts -- only active on a random basis?

Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
I was playing CvsC last week and I have a LL Votto with RISP boost and noticed it wasn't lit up.  Figuring it was just a random glitch,  I didn't think much of it. 

Then I saw this below yesterday.  To me, this is absolutely bizarre and I find it to be extremely shady given the number of resources that people have poured into their boosts without this really being a known thing.  It seems like something they try not to talk about,  wanting it to be as overlooked as possible.

So all those resources you've poured into your double CvsC players, your double blowout, your double RISP, yes, keep in mind they're only active if the RNG decides it should be.  

The only Silver lining to mention here is that the skill boost always does seem to work at the beginning of a WOH round when applicable.  But it sure makes it much tougher for me to trust that the boost still applies throughout the round,  and that other earned boosts throughout the round apply, after reading this.

Prev13

Comments

• Options
    JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    LOL say what!?   Then why the heck do they even have upgrade tiers for each skill!?
  • Options
    Babybombers9Babybombers9 Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    Aw hell no. HELL NO.
  • Options
    lpoheronlpoheron Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    I noticed the same thing last month, got the same response. It really needs to say they are active at random 
  • Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

I was matched up against a buddy who was pitching Vida Blue against me, and LL Lindor's skill wasn't activated.  Noticed that a few other times in the same match (it's usually the RHB/LHB skill that randomly doesn't activate).

That is some serious Glu manure right there.

• Options
    Hopefully Mark replied:

Hi Jose:

Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying the issue.  Just have one follow-up question.  Is my credit card charged every time I make a purchase from you?  Or is it just by chance, even when the requirements are met by you providing me what I purchased?

Just want to clarify that as well since you've graciously informed me that the resources I've spent time and actual money to acquire to use on these skill boosts are only activated by chance.

Have a good one,
    Mark
  • Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Noticed the same thing today in a private game. Sooooo wrong.

"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Just when you think you've seen and heard it all from this game/company, you get blown away by even more nonsense. They truly have no bottom to their pit. 
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Options
    I'm going to manual play the next prime game today and see if Lindor is active or not. Thinking they may have miss-assigned some pitchers as batters which would mean those pitchers should not have their skills activated either. Only thing that would make sense to me as I haven't noticed Lindor's skills not being active in WOH.

• Options
    Well I was wrong about pitchers being assigned as batters. Played a prime game against Greinke and 1st inning Lindor did have his RHP boost but Holiday Ted didn't (both his skills are RHP). 2nd inning Ted's skills were active. If that is not by design then it is real crappy programming and if it is in fact by design then it is shady as heck. Either way it should be unacceptable to all considering the resources we put into those skills.

• Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited January 2019
    To me it sounds like crappy programming being passed off as intentional / by design.

Project Manager: Hey, this isn't working. These skills sometimes are not triggered when they should be.

Developer: Oh.... yeah... uhmmm... we totally meant to do that. Yeah... It is random if they are triggered. It's a feature.

Project Manager: Oh, okay. I will tell the client.

LOL

I work in web development and see this all of the time.
  • Options
    @JEDDDOGGY in this instance I am guessing this is how they programmed it:

If (batter.skill = RHP) AND (pitcher.IsRHP) Then
        If NOT today.day = Tuesday Then
            batter.skill.active = True  'lets throw them a bone
        Else
           batter.skill.active = False  'screw them. Just call it a feature
        End If
    End If

• Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Houmy said:
    @JEDDDOGGY in this instance I am guessing this is how they programmed it:

If (batter.skill = RHP) AND (pitcher.IsRHP) Then
        If NOT today.day = Tuesday Then
            batter.skill.active = True  'lets throw them a bone
        Else
           batter.skill.active = False  'screw them. Just call it a feature
        End If
    End If
    Don’t bring logic into this 
  • Options
    I don't want to sound overly dramatic about this one but as we spend real world currency in this game to get the resources necessary for improving our players GLU is definitely in the false advertisement territory with this one. Below is the response I got from CS that pretty much echoes what @Wicked0Wildcats posted. Nowhere in the game does it mention that skills are activated randomly and that includes the link that CS provided me (link pasted below as well).

https://glumobile.helpshift.com/a/mlb-tap-sports-baseball-2018/?s=gameplay&f=what-are-player-skills&p=web

• Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    wow. just. wow. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    So does that mean woh, even though it shows the boost initially, it can be turned off randomly throughout the match, unless it’s maxed then there’s very little chance it’s off? Would explain why sometimes guys are impossible, and other times there’s no need for a gold boost. Also if you have a 2 skill player your probably only getting one boost most of the time, and the times you beat it without making an out you probably got lucky and had both skills active most of the round.
  • Options
    I fixed it

• Options
    I fixed it

Looks legit enough to me!

• Options

• Options
    Houmy said:
    I don't want to sound overly dramatic about this one but as we spend real world currency in this game to get the resources necessary for improving our players GLU is definitely in the false advertisement territory with this one. Below is the response I got from CS that pretty much echoes what @Wicked0Wildcats posted. Nowhere in the game does it mention that skills are activated randomly and that includes the link that CS provided me (link pasted below as well).

https://glumobile.helpshift.com/a/mlb-tap-sports-baseball-2018/?s=gameplay&f=what-are-player-skills&p=web

You're not being overly dramatic.  It's insane. And the exact thing they want us to do is to just let it slide, keep quiet about it, and let them shrug it off like it's a known thing and just sweep it under the rug.  

No one paid for all these skill boosts with the knowledge that they were only activated by chance.  It's completely under false pretenses.  It's not in the terms, it never has been.  It's never been announced, even though it's an enormous thing.  

I'm guessing it's a programming issue that is simply too much trouble for them to fix, because I see no real way this even benefits them.  But that's not our problem.  And the right thing to do would have, when they realized it was a programming issue, to make an announcement with an enormous gift apology and/or resource refund.  

Honestly what they should do, is refund 50% of the resources that everyone has ever spent, which would be an insane amount, and charge half going forward.  But they won't.  
  • Options
    These are the known resources I have invested into skill boosts under the assumption they were always active when applicable:

Okay, forget it.  This is taking too long to add all this up.  But I'm halfway through my inactives, just the hitters, haven't even looked at the pitchers, and this is what I have so far.  And obviously can't count the many players I've traded in and simply don't know.  

blue cash 2,975,000
    blue XP 816,000
    775,000 prime XP
    240,000 legend XP
    580 EVO

• Options
    stevebalbonistevebalboni Registered Users, Member 108 Posts
    edited January 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    Soooo CS had another rep take over to tell me the same story and pointing me to the FAQ. You know the FAQ that doesn't mention anything about skills being active randomly. 

• Options
    Don doesn’t understand the issue. He thinks you are saying a RHB skill should be active all the time, even against a LHB for example.  That’s how I’m reading this response 
  • Options
    Don doesn’t understand the issue. He thinks you are saying a RHB skill should be active all the time, even against a LHB for example.  That’s how I’m reading this response 

Not sure @Bigpredfan unless Don didn't read the initial ticket as I was referring to RHP & LHP Lindor and attached the screenshot as well.

• Options
    BobbyFlayBobbyFlay Registered Users, Member 53 Posts
    I noticed since the app first came out that the skills weren't always active when they were supposed to be. I thought it was only me and was wondering why no one ever mentioned it on this forum.
  • Options
    Houmy said:

Not sure @Bigpredfan unless Don didn't read the initial ticket as I was referring to RHP & LHP Lindor and attached the screenshot as well.
    Maybe the pitcher didn’t identify as a RHP or a LHP. Maybe the pitcher identifies as neutral and that’s why there wasn’t an active skill?  Because that’s the only reason I can think of for him to not have a skill active every at bat 
  • Options
    BobbyFlay said:
    I noticed since the app first came out that the skills weren't always active when they were supposed to be. I thought it was only me and was wondering why no one ever mentioned it on this forum.
    I kinda felt this way too, and even though I believe i have seen a screenshot of a skill being inactive when it is supposed to be active, the CS screenshot sent this into overdrive today 
  • Options
    CHITOWNBOMBER50CHITOWNBOMBER50 Registered Users, Member 45 Posts
    I just finished a game and faced double skilled Hershiser, and if the situation was to his skills my holiday Ted would be inactive, if it wasn't Ted would get the skill boost it makes sense that the skills would cancel out 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    When something has to be passed between 3 different CS reps within 24 hours you know something is up. It's either bad programming or as GLU says skills are supposed to be random. If they were always meant to be random however then it is extremely unethical and bordering on fraud not making that clear before hand. GLU needs to rectify this somehow but I am afraid whatever they do for the 18 version would be meaningless as it is coming to an end and we have spent months leveling those skills.

For the 1st time I am mad enough to want to drag this out with them as I definitely feel ripped off. Unlike low box odds and all other randomness in the game that we were aware off this one was never disclosed and people have spent a good chunk of $$$ on this little feature.

• Options
    Babybombers9Babybombers9 Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    Imagine if other video games worked this way? In GTA your guns would sometimes just not shoot. In Madden your QB sometimes throws the ball when you press the button. Their response to @Houmy
    makes it seem like they think it's normal and it most certainly is not.