Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.
Options

Yet Another 3.0 PoV (not a flame war though)

Racer KaiRacer Kai Registered Users 136 Posts
I'd rather think the folks/dev's associated with RR are not evil, greedy bastages, but hard working, possibly family members trying to do their job the best they can, with the constraints they have to work with. So with that said, here's yet another user's point of view on the recent updates...

1. Scroll arrows: I'm not sure how this benefits users on a small, mobile form factor. I find them intrusive, especially when my selection falls right under the arrow, such as the car in the horizontal list of cars in the garage, or trying to do a "Sort By:". My vote would be for their removal. Flipping through the list was much faster and convenient (now the arrows interfere with flipping too!).

2. Speaking of Sort By, when you have a lot of cars, by the end of a turf, you'll have a lot of repairing to do. Sort By: highest engine damage is a great feature, until you have to go back and reselect each one just to press the finish for "Free" button. So two things here, having to now press the finish for Free button once the repairs are done is very time consuming and annoying. Secondly, once you've pressed the finish for Free button, the list takes you back to that car which is now at the extreme other end of the engine damage list. Now I have to scroll through 50+ cars (with scroll arrows interfering) to get back to the other end of the list! My vote would be to bring the user back to the list at the side of highest engine damage anytime a change is made--that's why I selected this sort in the first place. My second vote would be to remove the annoying finish for Free button press requirements when the repairs are completed--just put the car back into rotation please!!!

3. Lag: I realize everyone has always complained about this in general, so here are a few specific areas where lag is incurred that is more of a design issue than network latency. (1) Viewing another user's garage of cars: The scrolling is now much slower and painful. I have to pull the list to the extreme left just to get 3 more cars loaded on the screen each time. What about preloading 20 cars at a time? (2) R class lobbies during turfs: I notice a major increase in lag in many functions (entering the lobby, updates when new racers join in, and during launch) when in an R class lobby during turfs. These are usually the most hard core racers with the most to lose. The user experience is horrible currently. (3) Upgrade screen: after about 30 minutes of playing RR, the Upgrade screen gets painfully slow to update. Not sure how you are using memory on the device, but this area just gets worse over time.

Now for something totally unexpected: Crates! I love the crates! It's like gambling but rewarding enough to keep me coming back. I have noticed the crate cars are heavier than the showroom equivalents due to locks on the body panels, but the concept is a hit with me. Now, I do think some things need to be adjusted, like having to win 7 blueprints for the Hellcat or Chevelle in a bronze crate versus 5 blueprints for a Zonda in a gold crate (makes more sense to me to be the other way around, or equal numbered). The new glow rims could have more color selections than purple/blue and a better glow effect too. Sure, I've seen/won a green rim, but the glow doesn't seem to actually be a light source in the game, reflected on the ground, rim, or car. Update the effect and those rims will be just as cool as winning a crate car, cooler if the car won is a 510 (yuck).

I love the game play, but the user experience does need improvement in specific areas. Perhaps number of downloads, time-in-game, and in-game spending data are already showing success. If so, congrats, but please still address these things above--don't be the victims of your own success. I'm pretty sure the average half life of a mobile app game is months, not years. Break through the ceiling! TIA.

Comments

• Options
    EnCRypTedEnCRypTed Registered Users 644 Posts
    Great post. I'm all with you.
  • Options
    crazyjrcrazyjr Registered Users 547 Posts
    I agree as well, most of the updates are good. I had crate VW's and just bought a showroom one, funny thing, the crate seems better in all areas. Maybe its cause the gems to get the crate, they giving you something better i guess