Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.
Options

Why are they vaulting cars?

james614james614 Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 179 Posts
edited August 2015 in Talk About Racing Rivals
Just saw that the 2005 STI is going to be vaulted soon. Just wondering what the reasoning is for vaulting cars. Is it a balance issue? Licensing? Common sense dictates that you'd try to avoid removing cars/tracks/characters/etc at all costs unless they prove to be a problem for gameplay. And even then re-balancing is preferable to just removing them altogether.

Comments

• Options
    Holeshot9892Holeshot9892 Registered Users 543 Posts
    I think it's to make room for new cars, I just wish they would wait until the new cars are ready, before they take the old cars. I've seen five cars removed that were not r class , and only one new car added that happens to be r class.
  • Options
    SwagiusMaximusSwagiusMaximus Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 21 Posts
    edited August 2015
    Economics 101. When a product is made "unavailable" (I'm using quotation marks since we're referring to an intangible commodity), the average person thinks "OMG MUST BUY", because they think it'll never be purchasable again, and Cie is ultimately able to boost sales. Cars are vaulted all the time, and right as they vault them, there's a spike in sales.

Honestly, I think it's a rubbish tactic, considering we're dealing with digital products that are infinitely available, but hey, it's mobile gaming, this is nothing new.

(What's really funny is that the last vaulted car, the Buick GNX, is going for $30 on ebay, even though not even an S2K RE is worth that much. Lmfao.)
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I have spent real money in this game, but that supports the game. I think it's crazy what people are paying on eBay and PayPal for digital cars though.
  • Options
    SwagiusMaximusSwagiusMaximus Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 21 Posts
    It's funny, I've spent hundreds of euros on this game, when I could be drag racing in real life. God I hate myself. (that said, EU emissions laws are getting unbearable. In Australia you can't have blow off valves, and I'm worried it's gonna be the same way here. Ughhhh).
  • Options
    You guys are lucky though. You have the Holden's!
  • Options
    Oh, I think I confused you. I live in Ireland, not Australia, I was commenting on the laws in Australa. That's why I said euros :p. Btw, the Vauxhall/Holden/Pontiac GTO are all the exact same thing, just different badging. Except the utes, utes are pretty rad <3
  • Options
    You know I always thought the Gto had a lot of similarities. I wasn't aware though.
  • Options
    Dooes CIE have reps out there selling shit on eBay and PayPal? Because that's the only way I'd see vaulting a cash car like the Buick making money for them.
  • Options
    James it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
  • Options
    RaceChaosRaceChaos Registered Users 14 Posts
    They should stop car vaulting.Only until they get new cars in then they can vault to make room.
  • Options
    [RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
    I'm going to get technical here...

We've added 26 new cars since July. Each WWE car is a new car,, Yes they are the same "model" as ones in the game, but each one is a new car.

Not counting those, we've added 5 new Turf Cars as well as the Agera and the Mercedes with more to come.

IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
    Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

• Options
    All trash talk aside . Yes you have added several r class cars, but those aren not the cars that are getting vaulted.
  • Options
    Ryyst I withdraw my previous statement . That amg is pimp, and it's s class.
  • Options
    In regards to "making room", the vaulted cars still exist in the game. There is no significant storage saved from simply removing their showroom entries, unless you're specifically talking about aesthetic space within the showroom itself.
  • Options
    [RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
    Posted this in another thread...

There are a number of different reasons for us vaulting cars.

1. We want the number of cars that are available for purchase (via showroom and the crates) to remain a certain size.
    2. Increases the value of these cars. They will, over time, be considered more rare because there are no new ways to obtain them,
    3. Increases the desirability for a short time before vaulting.

While I won't say for sure whether or not any vaulted car will be available in the future. For now, any car we vault will be in there for quite some time.
    IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
    Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

• Options
    Thanks for the answer Ryyst, much appreciated.
  • Options
    andrewlo1241andrewlo1241 Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 256 Posts
    OVER 9000
  • Options
    DualShocker182DualShocker182 Registered Users 5,257 Posts
    I like it when they vault cars. Means they get rarer.

IGN: DualShocker182
    "Rapper, Memer, and Lobby-Cleaner"