Options

Suggestions: Using spells to address current game state problems

clumsykyoclumsykyo Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
Hi

I have a suggestion on how to attempt to balance out the speed and meta problems in the game 
I hope someone takes the time to consider this

Tl;dr
See attached club chat screenshot 

I think that if spells were adjusted as follows, it would help to push the game to a more playable and less frustrating state
It requires a pretty major revamp. But not impossible I would think

1) make spells charge only when your team takes damage
2) once a spell is ready, you may use it (or pass) immediately after the turn where the opponent dealt the damage which caused the spell to charge fully (this would also interrupt abilities that give an immediate turn)

The purpose of this is to change spells from an offensive weapon to a counter / defensive action. 

My reasoning behind this is that
As it stands, teams that are speed based not only take the first few turns, they also get to use their spells first. 
This creates a snowball effect whereby teams (mostly kingdom and tech/bh6 teams) can easily take 10-11 turns in a row due to spells like fairy slumber. Other spells like dad pants and dumbo also result in negative / wasted turns esp after having waited so long to actually take a decent turn. 

I feel this not only opens up the game tactically, but newer spells can also be introduced to keep the game interesting. Defensive spells become an option not just for tournament defence but also for PVP. 
New defensive spells that grant stasis or invulnerable or taunt can help to encourage new team dynamics and to prevent the same meta from being abused (as it is now)

This would prevent the rich get richer state now where the winning and faster team just blows the opponent away and sometimes victory is already decided at the start by a coin toss (whose hiro goes first)
Being able to have a spell that turns the tide is a strategy and would bring more excitement to the game. 

It's a long post but I thought it was worth a try in making such a suggestion.