Options

How far is it worth leveling up keepers?

Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
I just recently moved up to Silver where I will likely remain until at least May/June, probably be at Gold most of the summer and perhaps move onto Platinum and Diamond in the fall.  

I haven't even moved my keepers up from Bronze 10 and I'm debating whether or not it's even cost effective.  I'm already pot committed to my custom legend at Silver 5, but I figured at least he could help me in Slugfest too.  

As enormous of an issue as we know resources can become in TSB I'm actually thinking of just abandoning my keepers at Bronze 10 at least for now to preserve resources.

Comments

• Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Well you aren’t able to trade them in. I have them at silver 1 while I am focusing on my higher 2019 players. Then I may bring them up. Since you can’t trade them in, you can always decide later to move them up. Just remember that they will evolve like your legend. They essentially can be the players you don’t have to replace, like ATG’s were last year 
  • Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Definitely worth investing in, my opinion anyways. Still affordable in silver, gold and higher is another story. 125k per keeper and your legend will cost about 250k bxp and 800k cash. But as @Bigpredfan said these players should get better as the year goes on. I currently use my legend in all rd10s in WOH and he never has any issues clearing it.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    JahCoozieJahCoozie Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    Posey is my highest max overall keeper, and Santana/Verlander are 320 overalls from this current event.  Remember, our keepers max overall will continue to raise as the season goes on, in hopes to keep them relevant.  Shawn Green is my other keeper, and I cycled Walk Off using him.  My legend is sitting at Silver 5, he’s the next thing to get capped.  Just my two cents, but I definitely think they’re worth capping/upgrading. 
    🍻 cheers 
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,722 Posts
    Agreed. Mine are silver 10 and cycle WOH which will continue to help me obtain better players. Also beating WOH helps  you obtain resources to level up other players 
  • Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Seeing that the ATG are at 330 and we have 320 players already I'd say they're not worth leveling past silver.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I've began saving for a move to gold. In order to do that, I need to be able to cap all the woh related team upgrades, both of my keeper bats, and a few other bats as well. My approach is that the keepers are vital and I'm not moving w/o them. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    Why would you guys upgrade ATGs over custom legend?  I'm honestly curious, I'm doing custom legend first.  Custom legend slightly outranks ATGs and doubles as a Slugfest player.  

I'm with Houmy.  I'm abandoning my ATGs at Silver 10.  I'm debating even going that far.  Remember how much of an issue resources become at some point in the game and then multiply that problem by 5...
  • Options
    DFBB said:
    I've began saving for a move to gold. In order to do that, I need to be able to cap all the woh related team upgrades, both of my keeper bats, and a few other bats as well. My approach is that the keepers are vital and I'm not moving w/o them. 
    @DFBB
    Strategically I agree with you on almost everything but I'm probably going to be going in a different direction on this one.  Even taking each keeper to Gold 10 from Silver 10 is going to cost you 50 EVO and 125K XP each which is a really high price this early in the game.  

By the time you move up to Platinum later this year I'm assuming you'll have to abandon them.  They will just be too expensive.  

I think a better strategy for the season is to save for POTM boxes when they come out and those will be your WOH ringers for a much lower resource price and probably still be useable players for awhile when they expire.  

I beat WOH today with my keepers making very little impact as they are still at Bronze 10 and I'm Silver.  Guys like Gleyber and Votto will of course need to be abandoned at some point but for now they are near keeper production.   For now I can supplement them with my custom legend and win without having to even use keepers.  

While the periodic boost benefit of keepers is attractive to players, the truth is that any player who plans on going past Gold at some point this season will probably have to abandon their keepers after Gold and at that point all those resources are burned.   
  • Options
    PhillyPhan87PhillyPhan87 Registered Users, Member 187 Posts
    I think they will be valuable up to Gold, so I'm investing in them. However, I could see people (especially those with good pulls or OF keepers) decide to abandon some or all of them at some point.

I however see NO point in advancing past Gold at any point so that is just my opinion. Platinum's investment is insane to me and I see little benefit in it. I know from '18 that I can cycle WOH in Gold and that's all that matters to me.

By the end of the season they raise the caps so fast and throw players at you I just hate having so many awesome high overall players stuck on my bench because I don't have the resources to level them. At least Keepers will increase overall over time.
    Luck = getting all curveballs in WOH
  • Options
    MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I'm budgeting to bring them to gold, hopefully in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    midgetmulletmidgetmullet Registered Users, Member 273 Posts
    How much XP are you budgeting to go to gold?
  • Options
    MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    How much XP are you budgeting to go to gold?
    Roughly 450k-500K.   I realize thats not enough for a full squad or sluggers but I'd rather go sooner rather then later
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    Agree that at least up to gold 10, keepers are worth the investment. It is a one time expense. I see a lot of people saying they are abandoning them past silver, but I would like them to keep a record of resources invested in normal 19 players every other week, including POTW or POTM. By the time we are in june/july and regular players are around 400+ max, how many resources have you invested in dozens of players you probably already recycled at that point? And then the resources you will keep wasting in 420 players, 450, 475, 490, etc. 
    Am sure by the end of this season, the total amount of BXP/EVO/GOLD/CASH wasted in recycled players would be 5 x greater than the cost of leveling up the keepers.  
  • Options
    sarge268sarge268 Registered Users, Member 80 Posts
    My keepers have been worth the time and XP to level up. They have helped my beat WOH and my pitcher is clutch during my season playoffs. I leveled up too fast last year and struggled to get legends capped in platinum. I’m taking it slow this year. I’m staying silver until June then moving up to Gold. I already have my keepers capped in silver and now I’m working on leveling up their skills.
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    The way I look at it, especially if you’re moving up early, a keeper is 5 normal guys.  Max overalls are in the 320-335 for the custom player.  Yes that 5x cost is steep but it will also be blue exp and will at least be competitive with new players coming out.  We’ll be replacing players frequently and some of those will cost prime and probably legend exp that will be less plentiful.  Now platinum and diamond costs start to be a bit much but gold should be fairly easy as long as we save some coming up.
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    I dunno....my keepers are awesome and dominate. With the planned ATGesque level ups they should continue to do so.  I’m silver and have a few 140-141 players and my keepers and create a legend class them all. I will keep them as long as I can keep pumping resources into them....this might mean going to gold then bringing them along after getting there but I see them (keepers) as viable as long as I can keep feeding them.