Options

POTMs becoming somewhat obsolete?

2Next

Comments

• Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited July 2019
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @dustyhunks we have had 350 blue XP guys for a bit now, he might well be obsolete himself by the time PoTM lose boost (still a month away). 

These guys are rated 30-40 points higher than that and might even stay on my roster longer imo.
    I don't see June PoTM being beyond 330 when they lose boost, still below 350. My point is the 227 hit at G10. Higher than Beaty from WoH reward last week (maybe?) and 370 Prime Meadows at 221 that crushes WoH still from Rays vs. Yankees box we just got again as viewing gift. I don't pay attention to max really at all anymore and the cost in gold and resources to level PoTM does outweigh the chance you take on a 500 gold box when they (PoTM) lose so much of their value. There will be more players to come while they are boosted that will have longer value outside of bonus points than these PoTM.
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    edited July 2019
    It also depends on how you want to attack things. If you're wanting to cycle HoF? Potm are great. If you're sticking to classic, they're Definitely a luxury. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    @dustyhunks they both have hit / pwr ratings that far surpass any 350 player. I think their lifespan will be fairly similar- we will be moving the 350 guys to inactive about the time POTM are losing boost. Player lifespan will be a wash imo so I am going to go with the superiorly rated players.
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,857 Posts
    edited July 2019
    @JEDDDOGGY I've got a couple of players that have been around for some time and are still up there. Like I said, Buxton has been marvelous for me and is still going strong. He was my number one righty for quite some time, and right now is barely behind number 2 for woh. He'll be rounding out my middle and lower levels for a bit longer (and he's still a starting of for me). There are some guys that prove useful for a while as they slowly become obsolete, whereas the potm is for sure obsolete after the month. I guess it's the guys you get right when a bump is introduced that can last. But yes, a month is typically a good lifespan for all of these guys we run through. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    For reference, PoTM Alonso and Bellinger from April were 350 max I believe. I think you are about a month off as we still don't have 360 max bxp players to match up with May PoTM which have already lost their boost.

The beauty of all this is I don't think you'll regret if you do cap PoTM now and nor will I if I don't pursue one. Honestly, you probably have more to gain at diamond than I would with such a significantly boosted player for the next month anyway.
  • Options
    For reference, PoTM Alonso and Bellinger from April were 350 max I believe. 
    They were 360 but the guys I had when they came out are falling off my roster now. I think it’s a wash really, but I just wanted to know it wasn’t a really super duper terrible decision to cap these guys before I did it (I don’t think it is, I think I’ll get a ton of use out of them). 

@retirepujols Buxton is 340 player isn’t he?
  • Options
    mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Potm great for diamond. Xp for my silver team 
  • Options
    Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY, yes Buxton is 340 max.  He still starts in my of, too.  Woh and risp skills, so still very useful.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    340 max, but 297 hit in woh with the skills I have him at 🤷🏻‍♂️ (platinum). I've had guys that could have replaced him for a slight upgrade, but I decided the resources weren't worth a small upgrade. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts

This guy begs to differ @JEDDDOGGY

Yeah, obviously if you still have single skill guys they are worth it (at gold, 800k xp makes me cringe) but a couple 325 guys I have have gotten much more milage put on them for longer. The drop to 320 still doesn’t compare. 

Keep in mind that the drop after the month is over is not necessarily a big deal for most people. If you get a normal player at 380 right now, a month from now he will be probably replaced for a 420 or or bigger. At that point, do you care he stays at 380 or go down to 340? You are not going to use him again anyways. This is assuming you get new players regularly through WOH or buying boxes. 
  • Options
    Tdub71 said:
    @JEDDDOGGY, yes Buxton is 340 max.  He still starts in my of, too.  Woh and risp skills, so still very useful.

He wouldn’t start over a 390 Blackmon though would he? I’m just trying to justify leveling this guy up haha.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGY said:

He wouldn’t start over a 390 Blackmon though would he? I’m just trying to justify leveling this guy up haha.
    Nah, Blackmon all day. 
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    Tdub71 said:

Definitely not.  Lol.  However, the cost to upgrade a new player would make me have to pause a little.  I am xp poor right now...
  • Options
    In fact my next OF upgrade probably pushes him to subs, even though he is actually (very slightly) better than double-woh Meadows, who is also still a starter for me.

That probably pushes g1 Prime Ohtanisan to inactives (and trade-bait), since I have Prime Pence at DH and leveled to g8.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @Tdub71 Meadows is still my best lefty (for woh). These are the guys I like, the ones that are one of the best on my team for weeks/months. I also wish I was in the position where I could use players of the month without any question or regret, because they're pretty great for that month. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I love POTMs.  I was really hoping to land Blackmon and Hader, but ended up with LeMahieu and Hendriks. 

I took another look at the box, @JEDDDOGGY, and if I had hit on Blackmon, I would level him with no hesitation.  Lefty with stackable skills for woh.  Plus his drop on 8/1 is to 340 max.  He would push Meadows to subs forever.
  • Options
    JCAM80JCAM80 Registered Users, Member 606 Posts
    Same skills, same overall. Blackmon edges him out by 8 in power at gold max.. and it translated to higher avg & ab/hr
  • Options
    @JCAM80 that puts things into perspective pretty clearly.. I should stop ignoring these players of the month I have 🤔
  • Options
    Blackmon's numbers are impressive and I would have to think long and hard about NOT leveling him if I ever got him from a (free) box.
  • Options
    And also, Glu skipped 370 max PoTM players altogether giving us 380 and 390 with this month's box. That may be a game changer as May was 360/320 and April 350/310. Even at 340 or 350 (not 330 as I assumed) these players in particular would retain more value a month from now.