Options

Middle-Game - Recycle Players to Level up, or Fill up Inactive Roster?

ORBBIRDSORBBIRDS Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
Like Chess, this wonderful Tap arena has - in my judgment - 3 phases to the game:
1. Opening (The first 6 weeks of the season)
2. Middle Game (The period between May 1 and August 1)
3. End Game (From August 2nd thru the end of the season, and into the remainder of the off-season, as volume dwindles....

Anyway, during middle-game, do you find it more advantageous to lay tons of players into our expanding inactive roster, or do you aggressively recycle players to upgrade other players?  I ask for a few reasons, and some are obvious.....and I believe require TAP adjustments.......but:

- For instance, if you gain 2 PRIME DH Players, you cannot use them in any game together except for WOH....so I would KEEP the 2nd prime DH, but only build him SLOWLY, with extra PXP here and there.... Normally, I would RECYCLE him, but the exchange for Prime players is a joke....A Gold 10 Prime player who cost upwards of 50,000 Prime XP to level up, gets you about 3,800 Prime XP if you trade him in.... Not worth it obviously.

Anyway, thought I would ask in general how you all go about your business.

Best,
Orb74

Comments

• Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    I'm pretty much a binge-spender, I suppose that's the advantage of being at S10...I don't have much to spend to level someone, and I'm not all that interested in going to gold. If I get a guy who improves my team in its regular roster or woh, I level him. 

I can't control who I get, and only have some control over when I get someone (beating woh, buying boxes), so if he has value now I level him now. 

I have 5 primes (4 hitters and a pitcher) and the rest are 350 max two-skill specialty players. I probably only need the right 5 guys to cycle woh, so I'll level anyone who can be one of those five. The rest get traded in. 
  • Options
    cubschampions2016cubschampions2016 Registered Users, Member 117 Posts
    ORBBIRDS said:
    Like Chess, this wonderful Tap arena has - in my judgment - 3 phases to the game:
    1. Opening (The first 6 weeks of the season)
    2. Middle Game (The period between May 1 and August 1)
    3. End Game (From August 2nd thru the end of the season, and into the remainder of the off-season, as volume dwindles....

Anyway, during middle-game, do you find it more advantageous to lay tons of players into our expanding inactive roster, or do you aggressively recycle players to upgrade other players?  I ask for a few reasons, and some are obvious.....and I believe require TAP adjustments.......but:

- For instance, if you gain 2 PRIME DH Players, you cannot use them in any game together except for WOH....so I would KEEP the 2nd prime DH, but only build him SLOWLY, with extra PXP here and there.... Normally, I would RECYCLE him, but the exchange for Prime players is a joke....A Gold 10 Prime player who cost upwards of 50,000 Prime XP to level up, gets you about 3,800 Prime XP if you trade him in.... Not worth it obviously.

Anyway, thought I would ask in general how you all go about your business.

Best,
    Orb74
    I’m at silver with 10/12 hitters prime and 2 prime starters. I level up anyone who will help me in woh. This why I have 4 prime 2b leveled. Only 2 play one at 2b and other at dh but they help in woh as subs so I don’t mind. As for blue xp players even though 350s don’t make my roster I save them as inactive along with potw. Everyone under 350 is traded in. 
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    It's just a preference of mine, but I usually trade my prime players in despite the bad trade-in value. Being diamond, I have to be super selective with my resources and the truth is, very few primes will get leveled. I do, however, keep some just because I think they're cool(Yelich, Dj, Ohtani, Judge, etc.).

Factoring the weekend discount, I have enough pxp to cap a prime player. Thing is, I'm hesitant to do so unless it fits a 'need.' For example, Devers is amazing, but I'd think long and hard about leveling him because I already have nice bats vs rightys.

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    edited July 2019
    I also have no willpower, so bxp and pxp are always scarce for me.  I tend to level the first bonus player I grab as quickly as possible, to help the club, so I try to stash as many inactives as I can, to trade in bulk, if I need xp in a pinch, to level another player.  

The cupboard is pretty bare right now, aside from all the former POTWs.

Edit: I am gold, so leveling primes is not very difficult.  When I decide to move up again, I will probably be faced with a few really tough decisions...
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I’m at the point in diamond where I have enough good blue exp players that I’m looking for a few primes I can slowly level up as I go (currently Contreras at P5, Ryu is at D1 where I usually leave my pitching at).  Once I finish Contreras I will look for a premium LH/RH batter each with ideal skills.  Until WoH spikes in difficulty again my blue exp generation in reality is only limited by time and if rewards are a player you can level up or not. 
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    If I don't need them, I trade them in with no regard to where they're going. The only caveat is I'll keep them while they're a bonus / box player just in case I pull them again so I can get the duplicate XP. As soon as that is over, I trade them in and never look back. My one exception is for prime Vlad jr. Out of respect for his father, but he's about to get the boot real soon.
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    Can anyone tell me the limit on inactives?  I searched but didn’t see it anywhere. 
  • Options
    EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    edited July 2019
    Base15 said:
    Can anyone tell me the limit on inactives?  I searched but didn’t see it anywhere. 
    Go to "team" click the batters tab and look after substitutes. You'll see your max inactives.
    ~UNAGI~
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Currently in gold and keep them as long as I can which this year has been as long as I want. I've had 2 periods of time where I have frozen all spending outside of whatever is needed to achieve a goal (currently in that second period looking to move on to diamond). First was to go gold and nearly tripled xp after a couple weeks. Current plan is to double up season games and take 2-3 weeks to get as much pxp, pennants and evo I can before making the jump. I have built a fine RHB heavy arsenal (bxp and pxp players) that should be able to crush Classic WoH in diamond with hopes of cycle capping to keep building from there. Pxp spending is on hold indefinitely so in the time it takes to build up resources for bxp players I could have enough pxp to bring at least 1-2 of the 400 primes I have currently to D1 when the time is right, hopefully within the next 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    Ebiggz said:
    Go to "team" click the batters tab and look after substituts. You'll see your max  substitutes. 

Thank you. Can’t believe I never noticed that before.