Options

Are double blowout skills good for a late round WOH finisher

CalNateCalNate Registered Users, Member 24 Posts
I’m looking for a HOF R 6.10 finisher for WOH.  Thoughts on this guy in that role?
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    I don't like it personally, but there is an ongoing debate about whether or not skills turn on/off during woh rounds.  I am of the belief that they do.  If so, you would lose both skills as soon as you got within 3 runs, making him a poor closer.

If I am wrong, however, he would be excellent...
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    As @Tdub71 mentioned, the jury is still out. I love blowouts, but that's because of how awesome it is for cvc/eb. I'm also in the camp that believe skills turn off/on and as a result, I never use guys with that skill in WoH.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    McNeil continues to murder Ryu every week, which has converted me. I used to be in the camp that didn’t like it for WOH. He remains scorching hot the entire round (and sample size continues to grow with same results). Leads me to believe that skills don’t update situationally like we think they should in WOH for whatever reason- whether intentional or just lazy/shoddy programming.

You should test Hiura out tomorrow and let us know how he does!
  • Options
    At a 30% discount, I think its worth experimenting.  I'll post results tomorrow...
  • Options
    @JEDDDOGGY What is Mcneil's win/losses vs Ryu and Price(5.9 royale)?
  • Options
    Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    I didn’t realize I should be keeping stats. I gotta step up my game. 
  • Options
    @Base15 My nerdism is strong. I usually track how I do versus each the tougher pitchers in HoF and Royale WoH. For HoF, I even document when I use my replay, how much gold/time was spent for each cycle, and who my Ls were against. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @DFBB I’m not certain as I don’t keep track. Oddly enough it seems like he actually has more trouble beating Price on Wednesday’s than he does beating Ryu on Monday’s. I cycle 10-12 times on Mondays to cap the reward player and seems like I lose maybe 3 or 4 times vs Ryu the whole day.
  • Options
    @JEDDDOGGY That's a great number. I don't get why you can roll through HoF and have trouble on Weds. My Ozzie is about 70% vs Ryu with the 80g and 80%+ with just a video boost vs Price. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah I use Ozzie on him too. And have used 420 Escobar too even with one skill inactive. They all seem equally effective to me!

Wednesdays prob just seem worse because I feel like I don’t have much in the way of a reward to play for and refuse to use gold to boost for it.
  • Options
    RookieTapperRookieTapper Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    I have about 100k PXP (just enough to bring a a guy all the way up to G10. I just pulled Hiura (max420, with double blowout skills).I’ve been saving up PXP to cap someone but don’t know who. My other options would be Ozuna (max400, double RISP skill) or Moncada (max400, RISP, Runners on base). Any of those 3? Or just wait and hopefully snag a better guy this week from a box? (Sorry for hijacking the post. I saw this post about Hiura already and didn’t want to be redundant and make another one) 
  • Options
    @RookieTapper If you belive in blowout for WoH, I think it's a no brainer. If you don't, then it's a tough call. That said, if you decide to level him, you have 24 minutes to get into a 30% discount club. It'll cost you about 70k pxp. Just search 'discount' in the club search and a few will pop. The discount ends when the event ends.
  • Options
    Personally, I would go Moncada.  I like the skills (just personal preference), and I look at switch hitting almost like a 3rd skill.  Especially if the skills are active from both sides of the plate.
  • Options
    Either that, or save the resources, and see what you land this week.
  • Options
    Thank you both for the advice! @DFBB I’m in a solo league by myself, I’m assuming I can’t leave and come back to it? I don’t believe in blowout for WOH (and WOH is the main thing I would need him for, I need a good righty. I’m loaded with Lefty’s) but only costing 70k PXP is a big plus. Decisions decisions haha. Thank you both for the input!
  • Options
    *solo club. Sorry, it’s late and I can’t collect my thoughts. Lol
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I believe that if you leave the club without a placeholder team, you won't be able to get back into it.  I am not 100%, but I think the club automatically becomes inactive and is closed when no teams are present.
  • Options
    Yea I won’t chance it then. Thank you for the help!
  • Options
    If you're the only one in the club and leave, it's gone. I don't know if there's a grace period because I've come across clubs that were 0/20 in the past. When I tried to enter, it wouldn't let me.
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    LOL.....nerdism......sometimes I don’t even know exactly how many cycles.....barely pay attention.  
  • Options
    duckk123duckk123 Registered Users, Member 296 Posts
  • Options
    How does ur mcneil beat it. I have 400 albies and mazara and they both struggle a lot. 
  • Options
    Jeddoggy said:
    JEDDDOGGY1,396 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    McNeil continues to murder Ryu every week, which has converted me. I used to be in the camp that didn’t like it for WOH. He remains scorching hot the entire round (and sample size continues to grow with same results). Leads me to believe that skills don’t update situationally like we think they should in WOH for whatever reason- whether intentional or just lazy/shoddy programming.

This is a theory we were kicking around in the club.....that in WOH skills do not modify over the course of an at bat but rather they activate on the opening scenario then stay locked on that same boost level for the entire round.  That is to say if you had RISP as a skill and the opening scenario had a runner on first, that skill would not “fire” and would stay off for the rest of the round even when runners manage to get on second and third.  Lazy/shoddy programming is the root is my guess.  The otherwise nearly worthless “nobody on base skill” suddenly is ALOT more valuable if the opening scenario sets and keeps the bonus boost.....meaning it becomes another strong attribute for a closer.   
  • Options
    @bigvivec That was my same reasoning for it too. WOH is the only game mode where the same hitter bats over and over, so the stats may not be updated other than when a given player comes to bat. (If that makes sense how I explained it)
  • Options
    @duckk123 Hmm are you silver, perhaps?
  • Options
    Im gold @JEDDDOGGY
  • Options
    Interesting. I'm not sure why you'd have a lot of issues, unless you are severely lacking in hitting upgrades. Most guys I know that are Gold cut right through it.
  • Options
    Update—  I tried G10 Hiura repeatedly in the 4.10 and 6.9 spot in HOF WOH.  I’m only gold and almost certainly no expert in WOH (I cycled classic once and HOF 3x with maybe 5-6 hours of off and on play today).  With that, I am now firmly in the camp of those who believe  that skills (are any others) don’t activate/deactivate during WOH.  

I didn’t keep any stats, so my conclusion is entirely anecdotal and not on anything other than how the game “felt.”  However, twice I went to extra innings and where I would have expected an obvious drop off and saw no evidence of that.  I never made an out in either extra innings scenario.  If blowout skills were turned off, I would have though that the loss of both skills would have shown up most obviously there.
  • Options
    I noticed that there were several scenario changes in classic today (didn’t play HOF).  The changes made levels more accessible to a wider variety of skills esp for RISP and on base skills where there were runners on base at advanced stages.  
  • Options
    Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    Tons say blowout is great for it but idk I’m not huge on it and prefer R or Late or even runner on but blowout has usage but I’m just not convinced it’s as great as many claim