Options

Keeper Closer?

xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
Who in their right mind brings over a keeper closer?

Now, I am fully ready to admit error in judgement if someone can explain to me why. But that seems like a horrible idea.

Comments

• Options
    jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    It’s not the worst idea. In general, RP are worthless in this game especially at Diamond since most pitchers go all 9 innings. If you keep a RP, he can essentially be your closer all season and he will only cost bxp. If you don’t care about always having the best players and team strength, it is a cheap way to make sure you have a decent closer. But as stated before, keepers In general really have no value once primes and legends come out. 
  • Options
    samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    You could also put the guy at RP1 and then you would really only need one ace starter for the tough matchups.
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Personally, I think it's silly to carry a reliever over a SP, assuming ratings are similar. I mean, if you want to be different, go for it! lol
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    my main reason for arguing for it is that solid starters are a lot more frequent in this game then solid relievers.  Having an Ace pitcher never really felt like a huge issue this year as oppose to getting a good closer.   Unless of course you had no issues buying one
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,722 Posts
    I feel that I’m the past strong relievers were hard to come by but this year there has been plenty to choose from. I’ve taken starters both years so I can’t really compare keepers from the past 2 years. 
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    I feel that I’m the past strong relievers were hard to come by but this year there has been plenty to choose from. I’ve taken starters both years so I can’t really compare keepers from the past 2 years. 
    Look at it this way. If you need a W, you can have your starter pitch every single inning and he will pitch six innings before getting tired. If you want to put a bow on your pitching staff, then that’s a different topic and something I can definitely respect. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I took Bruce Sutter the first year for keepers and Wilhelm this year. I tell you what I see the advantages of taking a Rp and the advantages of taking a Sp. I'd lean towards a Sp because like it was said before there is really no use for relievers once you get to a certain point early on yes a awesome closer is your best friend but the need for one falls by the way pretty quickly. All my relievers right now are all prime 475 with exception of Diaz. But Wilhelm is still in my rotation with four other legends🤷
  • Options
    JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    Just asking because I don't know all of you... are all speaking from the diamond lens? I am just wondering aloud if say a gold player would have more use for a RP than the diamond folks.
  • Options
    MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    RP is definitely more of an eye candy thing, an ace is more crucial.   But yeah im more so speaking in terms of specific in game availability.    Not saying I would take a reliever but just was making that argument since everyone plays the game different.
  • Options
    tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    JTANDME said:
    Just asking because I don't know all of you... are all speaking from the diamond lens? I am just wondering aloud if say a gold player would have more use for a RP than the diamond folks.
    I’ve been entertaining the idea of keeper RP, but won’t do it. For my game, especially early on with season playoffs and advancing through at least 1 set of tier playoffs, a top of the line SP is far more valuable. Just in my experience, SP is hands down better for me.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,722 Posts
    Speaking from a silver level there is absolutely no way that I would take a relief pitcher. It’s definitely eye candy even at this level
  • Options
    ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    JTANDME said:
    I speaking from a silver lens
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    edited February 2021
    Keep a reliever as your closer and save bxp/pxp/lxp on all of the other relief spots throughout the year. You can score decent points with bonus pitchers, but you have to jump through hella hoops to get a bonus reliever in for a few innings. 

Screw all of that noise! Keep a good closer, enjoy your top notch aces, finish the year with that keeper playing 150k games or whatever. Why not? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Satchel Paige has been riding the pine for months, but I still have a handful of prime relievers that are far behind keepers. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71