Options

Legends

BondsisanATGBondsisanATG Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
Kevin Mitchell?! With or without steroids Barry Bonds is top 5 all time and the best player I’ve ever seen 
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    Yeah, only a two time all star. At least he won an MVP  :# interesting rumor about him decapitating an ex girlfriends cat, too...
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Yeah, only a two time all star. At least he won an MVP  :# interesting rumor about him decapitating an ex girlfriends cat, too...
    Man, that generation of players all had Shït in their closets. We’ll never know
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • Options
    Man, that generation of players all had Shït in their closets. We’ll never know
    Before every single person had a supercomputer with 4k cameras in their pockets lol
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    I don't know how it works for using someone's likeness in game but I can assume. My guess is after the MLBPA or MLB no longer has rights on a player that player or their estate if deceased would be asked for permission. I doubt Bonds would do something like that. And even if he did, he left the MLBPA while he was a player explicitly to prevent anyone else from profiting off his image besides himself. I wonder if MLB and MLBPA would be displeased with Glu/EA if Bonds showed up (or replacement players lol from strike) and would not be surprised if there are provisions in whatever agreement both sides have to prevent just that.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, only a two time all star. At least he won an MVP..

...he caught a foul ball with his barehand too after overrunning it...always got to see it on TWIB intro back in the day.
  • Options
    I don't know how it works for using someone's likeness in game but I can assume. My guess is after the MLBPA or MLB no longer has rights on a player that player or their estate if deceased would be asked for permission. I doubt Bonds would do something like that. And even if he did, he left the MLBPA while he was a player explicitly to prevent anyone else from profiting off his image besides himself. I wonder if MLB and MLBPA would be displeased with Glu/EA if Bonds showed up (or replacement players lol from strike) and would not be surprised if there are provisions in whatever agreement both sides have to prevent just that.
    I would think just being a member of the MLBPA would give access to such things. Idk why a player wouldn't remain a member after retiring, it's only like $900 for a lifetime membership and you get a share of revenue 🤷 a guy like bonds, though, would be the type to not do such things 
  • Options
    samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    I think players are able to opt out of the licensing pool. Bonds isn’t the only one we’ve never seen in TSB. No Big Mac, no Griffey Jr. I don’t think we’ve seen Jeter since he retired either.
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Idk why a player wouldn't remain a member after retiring, it's only like $900 for a lifetime membership and you get a share of revenue 🤷 a guy like bonds, though, would be the type to not do such things 
    Michael Jordan paved the way and stars like Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds followed. In short, why be part of a band when you can make more money being solo?
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    DFBB said:
    Michael Jordan paved the way and stars like Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds followed. In short, why be part of a band when you can make more money being solo?
    I understand that, I was thinking more along the lines of doing both. Maybe you can't 🤷 I don't really see any Barry bonds merchandise or anything like that from him, either. Might just be because I have never looked
  • Options
    DFBB said:
    I understand that, I was thinking more along the lines of doing both. Maybe you can't 🤷 I don't really see any Barry bonds merchandise or anything like that from him, either. Might just be because I have never looked

While he was a player his name nor image were ever used in any video game once he left MLBPA.
  • Options
    What happened with Ortiz?  
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    DFBB said:
    I understand that, I was thinking more along the lines of doing both. Maybe you can't 
    This.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    I guess I was comparing Bonds and Mitchell to illustrate that maybe a lot of the legends they offer are a bit underwhelming. I mean Ortiz, Pedro, I-Rod, Smoltz, what about Kirby Puckett?
  • Options
    Taknadump111Taknadump111 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    Have there ever been a Sandy Koufax? Pretty decent back in the day.
  • Options
    It would be nice if glu would comment Koufax is definitely an ATG
  • Options

While he was a player his name nor image were ever used in any video game once he left MLBPA.
    Seems like a missed opportunity. 
  • Options
    jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    I guess I was comparing Bonds and Mitchell to illustrate that maybe a lot of the legends they offer are a bit underwhelming. I mean Ortiz, Pedro, I-Rod, Smoltz, what about Kirby Puckett?
    There are plenty that they try to get but in the end the cost doesn’t work for them. I think there are players that overpaying for may work well because they’d get a nice return from players but I’m sure there are a lot of guys they go for and it just doesn’t work out. I highly doubt they thought Kevin Mitchell was better than the players you named. 
  • Options
    There are plenty that they try to get but in the end the cost doesn’t work for them. I think there are players that overpaying for may work well because they’d get a nice return from players but I’m sure there are a lot of guys they go for and it just doesn’t work out. I highly doubt they thought Kevin Mitchell was better than the players you named. 

• Options
    Well you mean players like Maddox are available but the Big Unit or Smoltz are not. As I said I wish GLU would address this
  • Options
    Just place top 5 in a gauntlet for a created custom and make Larry Bonds 🤷 should be easy enough 🙂 pm @TyroneEastwood for gauntlet tips 👍
  • Options
    Kinda not the point but okay 
  • Options
    Kinda not the point but okay 
    Understood, just seen this question a handful of times already. They obviously don't have the rights to everyone, otherwise we would see them in game. No chance these guys don't want people chasing Ken Griffey Jr. or Bonds or even Ichiro 🤷 Hell, I guarantee people would buy Griffey Jr. in specials for $100 in droves lol
  • Options
    navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    I would just like to see someone new. Either regular legend or ATG. Hope we don’t have to see another recycled legend. I sure don’t want to see an ATG that was a regular legend earlier in the year.
  • Options
    I would just like to see someone new. Either regular legend or ATG. Hope we don’t have to see another recycled legend. I sure don’t want to see an ATG that was a regular legend earlier in the year.

• Options
    I think I’ll run a poll to see who people want to see as legends orATGs
  • Options
    At the end of the day, none of it matters. Ultimately it comes down to bonus players or players that suit your lineup. It’s been so watered down that the names don’t matter anymore. #chrishoiles4atg
  • Options
    mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    At the end of the day, none of it matters. Ultimately it comes down to bonus players or players that suit your lineup. It’s been so watered down that the names don’t matter anymore. #chrishoiles4atg
    Yup…. Like a Fiji water 💦 spring 
  • Options
    FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,093 Posts
    WHOOOOOO?!!?!??!  Oh yeah, the catcher I pulled earlier this year and he was probably a great CvC guy.
    Just no.  
  • Options
    Well yeah none of it matters but still…
  • Options
    No but seriously, if they released a Bonds or GriffeyJr ATG, it wouldn’t matter any more than if was Hornsby or Ruth. The names mean nothing. They could come out with a Trea Turner ATG and everyone would chase it just the same.