Options

Black Dragon on Hard Level

MaxinquayeMaxinquaye Registered Users 6 Posts
Just a question concerning fighting the Black Dragon on the Hard level.

I have fully upgraded Mystery Armor and have balanced the upgrades so that I have well over 3000 for all resistances. When fighting the Black dragon on the normal levels I take basically no damage whatsoever from any attacks. When the Hard level became available I tried the Black Dragon and the difference is huge. Despite all the resistances with just 5 or 6 fire or ice hits I am dead.

Is everyone else having this experience? If I am already wearing the strongest armor fully upgraded then I guess this is just the way it is and has been designed to be THAT hard...Just seems strange as the difference between the Normal and Hard levels elsewhere (BR4 for example) are not so huge.
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    Ro0lloRo0llo Registered Users 57 Posts
    Same problem for me, also full mystery set and dragon does huge damage on me on hard. Use a lot of potions...
    Level 75 :cool:Grand Dragon Lord:cool:
    Full Mystery Set Full upgrade
    Golden Headpiece Full upgrade(all stats 410+)
    Dragon Breaker Maxcraft 4344attk 42%cr 40%cd
    All total dragon ellement defences(ice, fire, poison) 3600+
    IOS-Europian server
  • Options
    lauapiklauapik Registered Users 490 Posts
    All too true, even for Level 75. Use the Helm of Endurance for a free revival. Have a lot of health potions even then.
  • Options
    ImrulkzImrulkz Registered Users 677 Posts
    Same to me Real Black Dragon on HM, i've 2x kill the BD on HM. Used alot of potion. I think this is God Mod not hard. So muchndiffren from normal.
  • Options
    K_OtiCK_OtiC Registered Users 165 Posts
    I have been testing the amounts on iOS I'm only level59 there but hard bd can barely damage me. I made sure every resist is max amount almost. Helm can have 419 so I got all helm resists over 400, shoulders, belt arms and leggings all close to 300 with the 3 main types balanced no extra thunder. Now his magic attacks do one small sliver of HP dont even use one potion.
  • Options
    K_OtiC wrote: »
    I have been testing the amounts on iOS I'm only level59 there but hard bd can barely damage me. I made sure every resist is max amount almost. Helm can have 419 so I got all helm resists over 400, shoulders, belt arms and leggings all close to 300 with the 3 main types balanced no extra thunder. Now his magic attacks do one small sliver of HP dont even use one potion.

Yeah perhaps that was my mistake, I used a few upgrades on Thunder resistance so that it was also over 3000 in total just like ice, fire and poison. I realise there is no need to have thunder resistance at the moment but in the back of my mind I thought that maybe with one of the upgrades the developers would realise and suddenly introduce an attacker with a thunder attack and then my armor would be too weak.

Maybe if I used these upgrades to the main 3 instead I would have better resistance like you, too late now unless I want to go through upgrading the mystery armor set all over again...
  • Options
    seaznseazn Registered Users 49 Posts
    I actually was just thinking of this question of how to upgrade for HM BD myself yesterday.

I wanted a balance between BD and BR4. I noticed in multiplayer BR 4, having 2209 Thunder Resistance was enough to not take damage from cobra lord so I'm going to leave it at that. Next, my Poison is at 2374 and while I take a lot of dmg from BD Normal's poison damage, but I figured it's really easy to block, so I just ignored it.

This leaves me at 3184 Ice and 3608 Fire right now and I take 0 damage in anything normal mode, but I take a chunk of damage in BD HM. However, I still have 6 upgrades on Mystery Armor left as well. I'm going to just focus on Fire and Ice and upgrade them slowly to the point that I take minimal damage or no damage at all. HOpefully this will hold me through
  • Options
    seazn wrote: »
    I actually was just thinking of this question of how to upgrade for HM BD myself yesterday.

I wanted a balance between BD and BR4. I noticed in multiplayer BR 4, having 2209 Thunder Resistance was enough to not take damage from cobra lord so I'm going to leave it at that. Next, my Poison is at 2374 and while I take a lot of dmg from BD Normal's poison damage, but I figured it's really easy to block, so I just ignored it.

This leaves me at 3184 Ice and 3608 Fire right now and I take 0 damage in anything normal mode, but I take a chunk of damage in BD HM. However, I still have 6 upgrades on Mystery Armor left as well. I'm going to just focus on Fire and Ice and upgrade them slowly to the point that I take minimal damage or no damage at all. HOpefully this will hold me through

So do you still take fire damage from BD Hard with 3608? Would be interested to know how high you have to get your Fire resistance before the damage stops...
  • Options
    I'll go add up my fire and ice I'm taking a tiny sliver of damage per ice or fire.
    Personally I'd skip on thunder cl hardmode isn't an issue only hm ft10 cl is powerful.

Fire helm 204, 419, 413. Shoulders 393, 287, 300. Belt 270, 266. Arm 393, 298, 247. Legs 393, 217, 274, 278. 4652 so I'd go with 4500+ fire for near immunity 4750~5000 would be total immunity I'll have to rework my weaker parts.
    Switched helms 4200 ish fire I was taking noticeable damage again.

Ice helm 204, 419, 411. Shoulders 393, 285, 278, 293. Belt 393, 282, 279. Arm 299. Legs 393, 270.
    4199 and my ice damage is bigger then fire but fire is more common from black dragon. I'll try for 4500.

Poison helm 399. Shoulder 0. Belt 393, 282. Arm 393, 276, 212. Legs 393, 297. 2645 I take chunks from poison but its easy to parry or special through that breath attack I'll see if I can get it over 4k with a new setup.
    So I'll push the weaker parts to 4500+ plenty of space can see the 200~280s can all be 290~300.
  • Options
    I'll go add up my fire and ice I'm taking a tiny sliver of damage per ice or fire.
    Personally I'd skip on thunder cl hardmode isn't an issue only hm ft10 cl is powerful.

Fire helm 204, 419, 413. Shoulders 393, 287, 300. Belt 270, 266. Arm 393, 298, 247. Legs 393, 217, 274, 278. 4652 so I'd go with 4500+ fire for near immunity 4750~5000 would be total immunity I'll have to rework my weaker parts.
    Switched helms 4200 ish fire I was taking noticeable damage again.

Ice helm 204, 419, 411. Shoulders 393, 285, 278, 293. Belt 393, 282, 279. Arm 299. Legs 393, 270.
    4199 and my ice damage is bigger then fire but fire is more common from black dragon. I'll try for 4500.

Poison helm 399. Shoulder 0. Belt 393, 282. Arm 393, 276, 212. Legs 393, 297. 2645 I take chunks from poison but its easy to parry or special through that breath attack I'll see if I can get it over 4k with a new setup.
    So I'll push the weaker parts to 4500+ plenty of space can see the 200~280s can all be 290~300.

Cheers for that, Nice work. Looks like I will have to redo my armor if I want any immunity from BD on Hard. Not really an issue though, I am fine everywhere else in the game, just a lot faster to collect renown points when you get 30,000 each time instead of 10,000...
  • Options
    Maxinquaye wrote: »
    So do you still take fire damage from BD Hard with 3608? Would be interested to know how high you have to get your Fire resistance before the damage stops...

Just got more Fire Resist, at 3977 now and I still take some damage, nothing terrible. I'd say a potion can heal about 8-9 Fire hits. I'm thinking just stopping here and get my ice to near 4k so it's potion-heal-able
  • Options
    Cheers for that, Nice work. Looks like I will have to redo my armor if I want any immunity from BD on Hard. Not really an issue though, I am fine everywhere else in the game, just a lot faster to collect renown points when you get 30,000 each time instead of 10,000...

Question: Wouldn't your Thunder be too low doing his set up for BR4 HM?
  • Options
    Made some new leggings arm and belt. Now totals are 4573 fire 4542 ice 2760 poison 786 thunder.
    Hard black dragon now only does about a mm of damage from fire or ice breathe, poison takes about 12 hits to kill me.
  • Options
    ChrisTotChrisTot Registered Users 394 Posts
    Made some new leggings arm and belt. Now totals are 4573 fire 4542 ice 2760 poison 786 thunder.
    Hard black dragon now only does about a mm of damage from fire or ice breathe, poison takes about 12 hits to kill me.

Nice! How does BR4 hard mode treat you with that 786 thunder resist?
  • Options
    No issues with cl or anything else in hard br4 with thunder dumped
  • Options
    lvlark02lvlark02 Registered Users 326 Posts
    what about your damage output on BD? or is it just hard coz BD does massive damage on u?

technically there's only 25 slots to fill up with elemental attributes:
    the total basic attributes for mystery set are
    1572 ice
    1572 fire
    1179 poison

if u need 4500+ then u need to add
    2928 ice
    2928 fire
    3321 poison

if the basic max attribute is 393 for each element, u need 8 slots for ice & fire & 9 slots for poison to reach the maximum 4500+ resists, u will end up with 4716 ice, fire & poison, thats if u can have them all at 393. or u can try 7x 393 1x 177 for ice & fire & 8x 393 1x 177 for poison to get exactly 4500. how'd u come up with 4500 anyway? is it the results of your testing?

i dunno if some1 has the time to make this kind of setup, but when the android update comes ill go for it :D
    [ANDROID] EW2 Lv75 Grand Dragon Lord
    [ANDROID] EW3 Lv42 Warrior, Lv18 Mage
  • Options
    lvlark02 wrote: »
    what about your damage output on BD? or is it just hard coz BD does massive damage on u?

technically there's only 25 slots to fill up with elemental attributes:
    the total basic attributes for mystery set are
    1572 ice
    1572 fire
    1179 poison

if u need 4500+ then u need to add
    2928 ice
    2928 fire
    3321 poison

if the basic max attribute is 393 for each element, u need 8 slots for ice & fire & 9 slots for poison to reach the maximum 4500+ resists, u will end up with 4716 ice, fire & poison, thats if u can have them all at 393. or u can try 7x 393 1x 177 for ice & fire & 8x 393 1x 177 for poison to get exactly 4500. how'd u come up with 4500 anyway? is it the results of your testing?

i dunno if some1 has the time to make this kind of setup, but when the android update comes ill go for it :D

393 comes on the actual weapons, but 305 is the max upgrade stat. So your initial ice/fire/poison resists are right, as well as what you need to do. But there are only 8195 (20*305 + 5*419) possible extra upgrade points. This is 982 points short of what you would need to add to have all 3 be 4500 exactly (in a perfect world where you could choose to only make it 4500). Of course this means that you'd have to make tradeoffs and the best place to start is to not have 4500 poison because it's less powerful.

I'm not a master of any of this stuff yet by any means, but I'm definitely interested in finding out the math behind these required amounts and like helping :)
  • Options
    So as a summary of the above most. One of the maxed combo possibilities would be a general helm with 2x 419 fire, 2x 419 ice, and 1x 419 poison.

Balancing the other 305 elements in a desirable way COULD result in this**:

4661 fire, 4661 ice, 2818 poison, 786 thunder.
    4547 fire, 4775 ice, 2818 poison, 786 thunder.
    4547 fire, 4661 ice, 2932 poison, 786 thunder.

**These are my baselines because my stats currently look like 2x ice, 1x fire, and 1x poison on my helm. I'm curious to see whichever last slot my general helm ends up with. I'm glad to know that I can still end up with desirable results no matter what happens. If I could pick though, I'm kinda hoping it lands on Ice just because it's the most powerful, ha.

It's also worth noting that if 4200+ is acceptable for fire, then it may be better to have 4800+ on ice just for scalability of future levels? It's shown above that 3977 fire resist means you still get damaged, so 4200+ might not be enough. I'm sure K_Otic has an answer for this already though :)
  • Options
    i wasn't sure what the max is thats why i based it on 393, tnx.
    poison will fall short even in normal mode u need 3100, i think the defense pot will help boost poison. i really hope 4500 isn't the exact number tho, maybe a tad bit lower.
  • Options
    i wasn't sure what the max is thats why i based it on 393, tnx.
    poison will fall short even in normal mode u need 3100, i think the defense pot will help boost poison. i really hope 4500 isn't the exact number tho, maybe a tad bit lower.

It changes in 500 damage blocks 4500 is one tick of damage approximately 1 mm damage 5000 is totally immune. Tested with 5k fire then with 4750 & with 4500 fire and same for ice.
    My setup is 4500+ fire & ice, 2500+ poison and whatever base thunder that's the best I can do aiming for 290~305 per slot on mystery set with general helm up to 400~419 per slot. I use 10 slots of fire 10 slots of ice and 5 of poison.
    Every 500 less add 1mm damage so for poison I take approximately 4mm/4ticks of damage per second I stand in it. So when he flies and does poison attack, I either parry two times or use dash attack so if anything I get hit once occasionally. All the hard br4 poison traps and spiders still do 0 damage to me.
  • Options
    is there any other armor set that can give u more than 305 or 419 per slot besides mystery & g.helm?
  • Options
    It changes in 500 damage blocks 4500 is one tick of damage approximately 1 mm damage 5000 is totally immune. Tested with 5k fire then with 4750 & with 4500 fire and same for ice.
    My setup is 4500+ fire & ice, 2500+ poison and whatever base thunder that's the best I can do aiming for 290~305 per slot on mystery set with general helm up to 400~419 per slot. I use 10 slots of fire 10 slots of ice and 5 of poison.
    Every 500 less add 1mm damage so for poison I take approximately 4mm/4ticks of damage per second I stand in it. So when he flies and does poison attack, I either parry two times or use dash attack so if anything I get hit once occasionally. All the hard br4 poison traps and spiders still do 0 damage to me.

Wouldn't the best setup then actually be 4547 Fire, 4547 Ice, 3046 Poison, 786 Thunder?

This setup would be 1x 419 Fire/Ice, 9x 305 Fire/Ice, 3x Poison, 2x Poison.
  • Options
    ronron Registered Users 889 Posts
    Just a question concerning fighting the Black Dragon on the Hard level.

I have fully upgraded Mystery Armor and have balanced the upgrades so that I have well over 3000 for all resistances. When fighting the Black dragon on the normal levels I take basically no damage whatsoever from any attacks. When the Hard level became available I tried the Black Dragon and the difference is huge. Despite all the resistances with just 5 or 6 fire or ice hits I am dead.

Is everyone else having this experience? If I am already wearing the strongest armor fully upgraded then I guess this is just the way it is and has been designed to be THAT hard...Just seems strange as the difference between the Normal and Hard levels elsewhere (BR4 for example) are not so huge.

Actually you do not need to have a 4500+ resistance. All you need is to learn how to counter all Black Dragons attack to avoid getting damage. Players that is good at parrying attack can defeat BD in hard mode without using rage/life potions.
  • Options
    ChrisTot wrote: »
    Wouldn't the best setup then actually be 4547 Fire, 4547 Ice, 3046 Poison, 786 Thunder?

This setup would be 1x 419 Fire/Ice, 9x 305 Fire/Ice, 3x Poison, 2x Poison.

is this with full mystery or with g.helm?
    ron wrote: »
    Actually you do not need to have a 4500+ resistance. All you need is to learn how to counter all Black Dragons attack to avoid getting damage. Players that is good at parrying attack can defeat BD in hard mode without using rage/life potions.

its not about that, without enough resists BD can drop u with just 1 hit by making a mistake/misparry/misdodge. its more on the best possible way to survive in case such things happens. u can't always time BD attacks perfectly. its true 4500+ is too much but any less than that u'd still take considerable amount of damage. in NM twas possible to beat DL completely with just parry+normal attacks but with HM its near impossible w/o that resists.
  • Options
    is this with full mystery or with g.helm?

its not about that, without enough resists BD can drop u with just 1 hit by making a mistake/misparry/misdodge. its more on the best possible way to survive in case such things happens. u can't always time BD attacks perfectly. its true 4500+ is too much but any less than that u'd still take considerable amount of damage. in NM twas possible to beat DL completely with just parry+normal attacks but with HM its near impossible w/o that resists.

lauapik and I already shows some action screens that it can be done (defeating Blackie in hard mode without using health/rage potions). My fire/ice/resistance is below 3400 (3400 is weak in hard mode but it is still possible [but hard] to defeat BD with parry and normal attacks only). I believe that many players can do that too (including you, Kush, lmlrukz, christot etc).

Cheers! :)
  • Options
    puccapucca Registered Users 36 Posts
    Parrying should be mastered. You can practice it in Hell fire hard mode, where countless archers aim at you from every direction. I really had much fun retaliating against their attacks. Also there's a freaky Darkness Warrior in Wave 6 that can cut you down any time you are off-guarded. Do notice, however, that its attack comprises 3 phases: dash, spin and smash, and you can always block during the intervals, if your timing is good. Once you're done, Blackie should be easier. Concentrate when it lowers its head.

As for elemental resist, I suggest focusing on Ice, then Fire. Fire can deal damage over time, which is quite annoying. And Ice is hardest to block. Blackie either freezes the whole area instantly, or continuously throws ice bolt at you, which are then followed by a stream of fire / poison breath. And that combo deals huge damage.

I followed the same tactics, and managed to defeat Hard Blackie, not unscathed, but only takes 2 health potions. My mystery is not fully upgraded. I save the last slots for possible Thunder resist, since there may be new enemies who use lightning. And lightning is supposed to be toughest, since it's fastest...
    Lvl 67 Grand Dragon Lord
    Proud of getting full Mystery set without paying a single $ to buy gem :D
  • Options
    pucca wrote: »
    Parrying should be mastered. You can practice it in Hell fire hard mode, where countless archers aim at you from every direction. I really had much fun retaliating against their attacks. Also there's a freaky Darkness Warrior in Wave 6 that can cut you down any time you are off-guarded. Do notice, however, that its attack comprises 3 phases: dash, spin and smash, and you can always block during the intervals, if your timing is good. Once you're done, Blackie should be easier. Concentrate when it lowers its head.

As for elemental resist, I suggest focusing on Ice, then Fire. Fire can deal damage over time, which is quite annoying. And Ice is hardest to block. Blackie either freezes the whole area instantly, or continuously throws ice bolt at you, which are then followed by a stream of fire / poison breath. And that combo deals huge damage.

I followed the same tactics, and managed to defeat Hard Blackie, not unscathed, but only takes 2 health potions. My mystery is not fully upgraded. I save the last slots for possible Thunder resist, since there may be new enemies who use lightning. And lightning is supposed to be toughest, since it's fastest...

Pro tip: practice parrying in Black Dragon normal ;) that's what i did. Yup the key point is to avoid getting hit so you do not need high resistance armors. You won't be needing potions if you mastered parrying
  • Options
    ron wrote: »
    Pro tip: practice parrying in Black Dragon normal ;) that's what i did. Yup the key point is to avoid getting hit so you do not need high resistance armors. You won't be needing potions if you mastered parrying

At the start, parrying is correct for Blackie Hard Mode but you will always be caught out when taking out the Crystals. Using the Dash, Spin and Ground Smash to destroy the Crystals, from Crystal to Crystal in a continuous flow is much better because when doing this, Blackie cannot hurt you while you are attacking the Crystals. Of course your Rage will be used up fast but you Gen Helm and Critical Hit Rate with get you back some Rage to help you destroy ALL the crystals. If you can hold your nerve you can regain Rage in the fight with the other Bosses. You find that you Health will not or should not be less than 60%.

The second round of the fight is about the same as the first. Blackie may spew fire, ice or poison at you while you are attacking the crystals but as long as your combo of Dash, Spin and Groung Smash is carried out smoothly without any hesitation, you can cut through them without loss of Health. Carrying out the combo requires precision, accuracy and timing.

Blackie is usually easily killed with one blast and ground smash in the finale. But be careful to be some distance from where he is going to land as he can take a chunk of you Health when he lands.
  • Options
    lauapik wrote: »
    At the start, parrying is correct for Blackie Hard Mode but you will always be caught out when taking out the Crystals. Using the Dash, Spin and Ground Smash to destroy the Crystals, from Crystal to Crystal in a continuous flow is much better because when doing this, Blackie cannot hurt you while you are attacking the Crystals. Of course your Rage will be used up fast but you Gen Helm and Critical Hit Rate with get you back some Rage to help you destroy ALL the crystals. If you can hold your nerve you can regain Rage in the fight with the other Bosses. You find that you Health will not or should not be less than 60%.

The second round of the fight is about the same as the first. Blackie may spew fire, ice or poison at you while you are attacking the crystals but as long as your combo of Dash, Spin and Groung Smash is carried out smoothly without any hesitation, you can cut through them without loss of Health. Carrying out the combo requires precision, accuracy and timing.

Blackie is usually easily killed with one blast and ground smash in the finale. But be careful to be some distance from where he is going to land as he can take a chunk of you Health when he lands.

I don't have an armors like the one you have so parrying is my best offense and defense for BD hard mode when destroying its crystals. I can managed to avoid all his attacks because blackie gives me a sign to press the block button hehe :)
  • Options
    Who am I to argue with a body language reading expert. Ha ha.
  • Options
    lauapik wrote: »
    Who am I to argue with a body language reading expert. Ha ha.

Each player can have different strategy. You are the one who told me to practice parrying and now I'm applying it in bd hard mode. Cheers! :)