Options

Masahiro Tanaka

Comments

• Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    OK Amused, I lost first two games against Legends, and won next two. Series tied at 2. Have to bring my daughter to softball practice. She plays on a travel team, and her team practices year round.

I'll update you later on how I make out.

First two games, Legends gave themselves a 6 and 5 run lead respectively. So much for my Tanaka strategy!!!
  • Options
    OK Amused, I am now a 7x winner against Legends. It went 7 games, and if I play them 1,000 more times, this series will be tough to beat for excitement.

I won game five 8-7, with two runs in the bottom of the ninth. I was feeling pretty confident after winning three straight games. Well, I got squashed in game six, 15-7!!! Legends spotted themselves a 7-0 lead after the top of the first inning. I was never able to catch up.

For game seven, I decided to start Kershaw. Things were tight up until the fifth inning, 3-3. Then, "whack" Legends put up 6 runs in the top of the sixth. I tied them at 9 in the bottom of the eighth, only to see them score 1 in the top of the ninth. I rallied with a clutch two out double in the bottom of the ninth (Beltre). So, it's 10-10.

The score stayed that way until, the 13th inning. YES, the 13th inning!!! Legends has Uehara, and I have Benoit. They score 1 in the top half of the 13th! Bottom 13th, Uehara is dying! Lead off walk, single to right, and I have first and third no outs. Should be in the bag, right, not so easy. Pop out to shallow center, and a pop up to the catcher, and there's two down. A hard single to right tied the game at 11. Runners still at first and third. Of all things, a bloop single to right wins the game, 12-11.

I have never played a 13 inning game before, nonetheless in game seven against the Legends! I'm pretty much shot Amused.
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Awesome series Lawman. I've had quite a few go into extras against Koji. The bloop hit to win it, is a small miracle to witness. You have that initial "(insert angry word here), a weak fly out" only to watch fall harmlessly into the outfield for the game winner. Well done, sir!!
  • Options
    Sorry Amused, I got caught up in the drama, your turn sir... Needed to get that right this time.
  • Options
    Maida_gcMaida_gc Registered Users 172 Posts
    How does the playoffs work once you get to Legends.

When you beat them, do you need to win 75 games again?
    When you lose, how many games til you can play them again?
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    Maida_gc wrote: »
    How does the playoffs work once you get to Legends.

When you beat them, do you need to win 75 games again?
    When you lose, how many games til you can play them again?

If you win, you need another 75 wins.

If you lose, it depends on how many games you lose. If you lose 0-4, you play 4 more games. If you lose 1-4, you play 3 more games.
  • Options
    Thank you. I'm currently working my $ and rewards up by playing in the HOF Level, and intentionally tanking the series to HOFWorthy, as it turns out, it is like having the ability to play a ton of bonus games a day, and raising your daily total. Wanted to make sure I like my plan before actually beating them. I do.
  • Options
    Lawman and company, just finished a tough series win against Legends. Even though I won 4 games to 1, it was tougher then it sounds. I can't remember who said it, but it truly comes down to out scoring them. I can usually knock out the starter early. Once you get to their bullpen, they use their relievers until they get to Doolittle who has to pitch 2-3 innings. That is the time to put the nail in the coffin. They keep coming back, but in the end I held on. 11x now. Again, not to brag, but just keeping count. If I can offer any advice, please ask! Lawman, ur turn sir!!
  • Options
    Outstanding Amused!! You are officially dubbed, "Legends Slayer".
    How many wins do you have in total?
  • Options
    I'm 102-181 .360 win % against the Legends right now. I was about 30-130 when I finally beat them the first time. So since then I'm around 70-50. That first time was brutal.
  • Options
    I actually have a tad over 40% wining percentage against Them, but sir you are indeed the Legends Slayer.
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    Amused_79 wrote: »
    Lawman and company, just finished a tough series win against Legends. Even though I won 4 games to 1, it was tougher then it sounds. I can't remember who said it, but it truly comes down to out scoring them. I can usually knock out the starter early. Once you get to their bullpen, they use their relievers until they get to Doolittle who has to pitch 2-3 innings. That is the time to put the nail in the coffin. They keep coming back, but in the end I held on. 11x now. Again, not to brag, but just keeping count. If I can offer any advice, please ask! Lawman, ur turn sir!!

That is the winning game pattern I often use in legend playoff. Sean throws too many straight fast ball and we can almost kick legend team's *** at this moment.
    My highest score VS Sean in one inning is 8. Once if any body is on base, it is time to make your batter go crazy.
  • Options
    Clark22Clark22 Registered Users, Member 324 Posts
    I still haven't beat them in a series. Loading up picks for an all player draft and then I'll go for it
  • Options
    Clark, no matter what you do, sometimes Legends will just score an ungodly amount of runs. Out hitting them is often the only answer. Their pitching rotation is very good, but hittable. If you are facing a lefty, load up on right hand batters. If facing a righty, insert lefties (if you have some). This, in my opinion, will definitely enhance your chances.

Their middle relief is your best chance to score runs, so take advantage of every opportunity.

Good luck.
  • Options
    You turn sir... Just polished off Legends for the 8th time Amused. No drama this time, a thorough 4-1 drubbing of them. In fact, I beat them 17-5 the game Cueto pitched. The only game I lost, was 9-7, and I was down 5-0 after the 1st inning. Got garbage with my free picks.

I have come to the realization that my team is good enough. I know my pitching rotation could be better, and my relievers a tad better too, but I guess that adds to the challenge. I may not have every stud hitter in the game, but I feel confident I can win against teams that do. Bottom line, other than gold I can accrue by winning in the game, I'm not going to spend another penny on upgrading my team.
  • Options
    Same here Lawman. After getting Buster I'm set lineup wise. I did get Sale but he's a lefty and probably will do as good as Kershaw. Got Doolittle too, but for a 5 star, he's very hitable and a lefty. I use the gold for bonus games so I can play at will. Still enjoying playing though. There are a player or two I would like, but I'll just wait until they happen to pop up on a pick. Don't want to steal your thunder, but I beat Legends two nights ago. One of the easier series. Game 4 ended with a rare 12-0 shutout win agains Cueto for a 4 game sweep. So I guess put me down for a dozen series wins. But well done on your part Lawman. I guess we can stop keeping count. Pretty sure that at this point we are rubbing it in to those still 1st time seekers of winning against Legends. Good luck to those that are still looking for that first series win. It will happen!!
  • Options
    I agree Amused, and we should stop posting about Legend's victories. I will give you one last congrats.

Good luck to everyone against Legends. If I can offer just one bit of advice, pitch righties against them, you will definitely increase your chances for victory. Oh yeah, as many lefties as you have in your line-up.
  • Options
    ^^^ Agree!! If you have any questions or need some advice please ask!! I'm still learning new things every time I face them. Upgrade you team as best you can and learn each pitchers tendencies. In the end luck plays a big part. You can do everything right and they will throw 7 runs up. Yell all the cruel words you want, and try again!! Lord knows I have. Lol
  • Options
    Do you guys play 'regular' teams too? Do they rematch you? Do you smash them? I'm curious because right now I'm in a really good spot, before I take my 'run at 5 stars' so to speak. Are people going to want to stop playing me? Or I suppose I just find others with sick teams.

And does playing only sick teams get boring? If pitchers are so good, does it just even out?
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    I have a pretty solid team which is better than 90% of the players I face. They are less likely to hit "rematch"...
  • Options
    Hey Maida

There are quite a few players that do not hit rematch. However, I have my "regulars" that I have played for a while now, and regardless of outcome, do hit rematch. We chat and exchange ideas in between innings.

I think I've posted this before, but other than putting your rotation together, you don't control defense. You can control your hitting though, and all things somewhat even, the better hitter usually will win. I could never assemble the Legends team, yet I can beat them regularly. There are some teams that have darn close to the same team as Legends, and if I'm on, usually will beat them too. Luck, absolutely plays a role as well. When I get beat, it doesn't bother me in the least, and I congratulate my opponent. Then, I hit rematch!!! There are a few people out there that get testy if they get handed a loss, but they are far and few between. Most players I believe enjoy the game and the challenge.

My record winning streak is 64 games, and to answer one of your questions, a "regular" team ended my streak, not a stacked one. I got out hit, plain and simple, and I tipped my cap to them.
  • Options
    Yea Lawman, I agree. I play the same regulars. Our teams are all pretty close, but we chat between innings and give advice or talk about what player we should play. We congratulate each other on good draft picks or Legend victories. And some "all in good fun" jabbing isn't unheard of. :)
  • Options
    NoGameNoLife24NoGameNoLife24 Registered Users 22 Posts
    Has anyone had success using Tanaka against Legends? I used him 5 games, going 1-4, so far right after drafting him and his era is now over 10.
  • Options
    Against human players he does well. Against legends with an 8 stuff rating I give him a 50/50 shot on holding them under 4 runs after 6 innings. (Assuming ur pitching coach level is at an 8-9)
  • Options
    I see, you were the first person to play against tanaka for me and he did pretty well, considering your beast team haha. My pitching is maxed out already. He does well in the beginning but usually towards the 4-5 innings is where he gives up 3-6 runs
  • Options
    I see, you were the first person to play against tanaka for me and he did pretty well, considering your beast team haha. My pitching is maxed out already. He does well in the beginning but usually towards the 4-5 innings is where he gives up 3-6 runs

I have Tanaka, and he has won more games against Legends than any of my other starters. He is not perfect, and Legends will "rough" him up once in a while. However, in my opinion, he gives me the best chance to win. I went to my photos saved on my iPad, and there were two occasions where he shut out the Legends for 6 innings. The one game I won 3-0 and the other I won 4-2.

Against human players, Tanaka is awesome! His record against humans is 47-2. Amused hit the nail on the head though, as my pitching is upgraded to 9, and that makes a big difference.
  • Options
    Oh, I see Lawman. I'll give him a couple of more tries. Maybe it's just my bad luck so far haha. Thanks for the information! Btw, do you constantly ice pack him for a majority of the series?
  • Options
    Yes sir, I most certainly do!!!
  • Options
    What's his era for you so far? Just started Tanaka and he held them to 2 runs! But Grilli and Doolittle gave up 5 runs together to give them the win
  • Options
    As much as I wanted Doolittle to work out, a left handed reliever against Legends just is not a good fit. It seemed a 3 run inning was pretty consistant with him. I eventually dropped him, because even against human players he did not do well. His era was north of 4.00.