Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.
Options

Ryyst Blog #3 - What have we done...

[RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
It’s been a rough week here for all of us. Last week we updated the game in preparation for a client update that should be coming soon, which will bring a new car manufacturer m(rhymes with Terarri) and will let us be able to release new cars from Lotus. This update will also make the “light lag” situation more fair by giving extra time for players to rev up before the start of the race.

This update is also another step in the direction of our anti-cheat precautions. Something we have been battling for quite some time, and we now believe we have a pretty good handle on it. This of course required us to change things within the game itself.

Change. Most people fear this word. It’s understandable. It’s unknown. It’s unfamiliar. It’s scary. However, without it, things get complacent. Things get routine. Things get slow and stagnant. Things get… boring. Challenges no longer remain challenging when it’s the same old song and dance. Once you’ve reached the pinnacle, what’s left to do? Video Games entered a different era when MMOs were born, or rather when multiplayer worlds were born. Be it a text based RPG-like Multi-user Dungeon or a full on graphical Massive Multiplayer Online world, things change constantly because without change, those worlds will die.

Change for the sake of change isn’t good either. These changes should make sense, they should improve the “quality of life” for the players. Sometimes it’s subtle, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes something you know and love all of a sudden will be totally different. It’s not worse, just different.

The changes we made and will continue to make are meant to improve things for the good of the game. This latest change is mean to help us combat cheating. It was a necessary step, one of many, that will help us do that. Is it an all-encompassing cheat buster? No, not by itself. It’s a piece of a larger picture that will help the game be fair for all. I know, you can’t see it now, things still run like it does, but trust me, I know whats coming and and I know what we’re working towards and it definitely will help make racing more fair and more accurate so we better know who make be cheating or exploiting. Basically we want to end all the “I lost to X, no way that car can go that fast” and our replies of, “The time was within acceptable limits.” We know your frustrations with that, as are we. We’re just bound to our limitations.

Why did this change affect car ratings and lobby placement? Simple really, our side of the game and your side of the game share data with each other. Without getting specific in to the game code, due to the delay between our servers and player’s devices sometimes the #X we see is slightly slower than the #X you see. However it was a pretty small difference and didn’t really hurt anything so it was fine. Would stay fine except there are people out there that don’t want to play the game, they’d rather profit and take advantage of legit racers. So they cheat. They exploit. They do everything they can to profit off of the players. It became apparent that our players were sick of it, and rightly so. We were too. So we started to figure out ways to stop it, or at the very least make it harder (let’s face it, nothing is hack proof really. Even huge companies with vast resources have issues with this). We accomplished this goal. The use of modified APKs is all but ended, with known “hackers” declaring that it is now way to much work to even try. Again, not completely stopped, but we’ve made it almost not worth the effort needed to cheat in this fashion. Now, does that mean our work is done? Not at all. While major means of cheating has been slowed down tremendously, these people will not stop trying. So we need to stay vigilant. Which we are.

So we looked at how things work and found places to improve things so that it is even harder to exploit. That meant tightening up things that were a bit flawed before. So, to use our example from earlier, now #X on our side has to equal #X from the players side. That will allow the game to accurately determine something. It was needed. For the good of the game as a whole, we had to do it.
This is why all of a sudden cars tuned to a certain rating now find themselves in a different lobby, or why some cars rating have increased.
I apologize for this coming out of nowhere. In all honesty, I don’t think we knew that this would change things as much as it has. The changes to lobby placement and speed ratings was a byproduct of this change that was not foreseen. What we are taking away from this is that we can no longer make changes without investigating what exactly will change and how that may affect players. What I will be striving to do is it provide patch notes for every update I can. I have asked that we (community and CS) know what changes are being made no matter how small. Then we can better prepare all of you for what changes are coming so there will be no surprises.

So to all of you who are angry, we understand, change is scary. You are/were set in your ways. There was a system in place, a system you built your garages around and we changed that. We could have and should have given you all ample warning. Unfortunately, that’s not how this played out. All I can say is that we will do our best to make sure there are no more surprises.

This doesn’t mean that we will stop making changes. Like I’ve said, changes are inevitable. It’s necessary for the life of the game. We can’t promise you will all like the changes we have coming at first, but everything we do is for the good of the game and it’s future. We all need to adapt.

Video games and racing is about skill, strategy and often times adaptation. Once you become complacent, that’s when you lose your edge. Always be aware that things changes, you need to keep on your feet and be able to adapt, there will always be other players that can and will do just that. No game is immune to the need for changes. Most games that have run for years often make changes just as we have done and will continue to do. As technology gets better, we must all also keep up with it.

A lot of games do this by coming out with sequels. That certainly was an idea here. The thing is, a sequel would be an entirely new game. Things from the current game wouldn’t be the same in a sequel. While most players would want everything to transfer over, that’s just not how that works. Sure, we’d give some things to players of the old game, but a 1:1 transfer? Wasn’t going to happen.

This would mean everyone would have to start from basically scratch. Sure both games would be supported, but much of the love would probably have gone to the newer game, which would probably have ended up in Rivals being neglected with some additions made here and there.

We didn’t want to do that to our players, so we decided to invest in the game itself. Make the changes to systems and make additions to the game that we would have done in a sequel. This way, we get a more updated Racing Rivals AND we let our players keep what they have.
So stay tuned, I will be going over what to expect in Racing Rivals over the next few months in future installments of my blog.
IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

Prev13

Comments

• Options
    foppa99zulufoppa99zulu Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 36 Posts
    I think most will be excited at the thought of an improved and more secure game. This change has still put a large re-tuning burden on all of us. This can become costly as we experiment with installing combinations of parts. Why not try to smooth things over with us by making part upgrades free for a set period of time?
  • Options
    traviss45traviss45 Registered Users 1,303 Posts
    so can you comprimise with us and give everyone like 500 gems as a "im sorry"
    legit dealer, Trump sucks, IGN VIRUZ MODZ

• Options
    CHSJACHSJA Registered Users 407 Posts
    500 Gems wont even cover my lost boosts pal......
  • Options
    traviss45traviss45 Registered Users 1,303 Posts
    edited July 2016
    @CHSJA we got those back. you can stop crying about them now "pal"
    legit dealer, Trump sucks, IGN VIRUZ MODZ

• Options
    RZR 69RZR 69 Registered Users 548 Posts
    Thanks for the information and explanation, I think that's what the majority was frustrated about. I also agree it is going to cost the customer a lot of RR cash to re tune (I have over 600 cars, mostly turf tuned). I like the idea of a free tuning for a few days!
  • Options
    dwdtuningdwdtuning Registered Users 12,932 Posts
    Lol or my 62 s2k re going to 68 lobby. Ok you said borderline tunes will jump, I detuned my 63 aka now a 65 to 62 and it still goes to 68. Explain that cheif
    ★ HATERS MAKE US FAMOUS ★

★#1 MM ★

☆ Stalkers are creepy ☆

>:)
  • Options
    Or why 10 cars with the same tune. Half changed to 65, half didn't. Same exact tune. If I send to another account it jumps to 65, but if I just keep driving it and pinking it's sticking to 63 and putting me in 63 not 68. Explain that

★#1 MM ★

☆ Stalkers are creepy ☆

• Options
    traviss45 said:

Said the guy begging for free gems....typical
    BTW , .. You got your boosts back "pal".. not me so stfu
  • Options
    dwdtuning said:

Lol or my 62 s2k re going to 68 lobby. Ok you said borderline tunes will jump, I detuned my 63 aka now a 65 to 62 and it still goes to 68. Explain that cheif

Because you are still equating speed rating to lobby. That isn't the case. Placement in a lobby was never based solely on a car's speed rating... even though it mostly looks like that.

• Options
    dwdtuning said:

Or why 10 cars with the same tune. Half changed to 65, half didn't. Same exact tune. If I send to another account it jumps to 65, but if I just keep driving it and pinking it's sticking to 63 and putting me in 63 not 68. Explain that

Again, these aren't simple direct equations. When we changed what we changed, it wasn't directly linked to a car's speed rating, it was one variable which affected different things.

• Options
    CHSJA said:

traviss45 said:

And as posted, if you didn't get your boosts, contact customer service to double check.

Bear in mind that when we gave them back, they answered everyone with that, so you may need to reply back telling them that yo didn't get them back after we said we did.

We are finding that some players did for some reason were not seen by the system so they will double check and return any boosts they find you did not get back.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    The change is what it is.n nothing we can do. I just want consistency. If one car changes they should all change. Seeing they are all same exact tune. You tell me it's fixed when clearly same exact cars and tunes came out and are holding different rates. Ima have to call bs

★#1 MM ★

☆ Stalkers are creepy ☆

• Options
    Thanks @Ryyst

Also dwdtuning, I may have a bit of information about what your talking about. I think a see a returning pattern on this problem. I wont post here though. You can pm me if you want to talk.

• Options
    @CHSJA I'm good bud.. Ive retuned my s2k re's and they are all crushing. I just have to free race first instead of just throwing up the pinks. No biggie. I just want consistency.

★#1 MM ★

☆ Stalkers are creepy ☆

• Options
    I hear you on the consistency. I was mostly referring to holding the lower rating.
  • Options
    O yea and with shear amount of rrc that will be burned up retuning pretty much everything in every garage. Y'all gonna wipe out alot of the pre 5.0 apk funny money. Gonna take billions of rrc of the market. Smooth

★#1 MM ★

☆ Stalkers are creepy ☆

• Options
    2HIPSI2HIPSI Registered Users 6,984 Posts
    So the lobbies will be regulated by ET or speed rating? Just trying to figure out if we should tune for a specific lobby ET or take a shot in the dark for speed rating limit
    OG - 2HIPSI aka 2 High Psi

• Options
    Would love some insight here as well before spending RRC the wrong way.
  • Options
    C y r u sC y r u s Registered Users 293 Posts
    null
    Who's we? Got a mouse in your pocket? And ryyst your post sums up nothing and doesn't answer any questions at all. What are the new ratings? Lobby limits, speed limits, lobby parameters etc... You screwed everyone with these changes, killed every tune in the game and ruined turf for so many racers and have offered up nothing in the way of answers. What a joke!!!! I'd prefer if you came out and said "**** you all, we don't give a shit about any of you" atleast that would have been more honest and answered more questions
  • Options
    CHSJA said:
    » show previous quotes
    And as posted, if you didn't get your boosts, contact customer service to double check.

Bear in mind that when we gave them back, they answered everyone with that, so you may need to reply back telling them that yo didn't get them back after we said we did.

We are finding that some players did for some reason were not seen by the system so they will double check and return any boosts they find you did not get back.

Ya cause we all know how affective customer support is about returning things that were taken from us in game
  • Options
    Figuring it out is gonna be a hassle because a 56 tuned car will put you into a 56 lobby in multiplayer but that same car will go into a 63 lobby for showdown or turf. So the only way to test tunes is to use them in turf or showdown but if the car is over and you need to retune, you won't have a lot of time before turf ends. You will have to gem install parts quickly and that's exactly what Glu wants you to do.
  • Options
    They want you to retune and gem install. Whatever makes them the most money is exactly what they are going to do. They don't care about what's best for the game or the racers. They care about the largest possible profit margins. If they cared about the game or racers we would have seen some of the basic changes that everyone has asked for. Such as being able to remove nos, not having to load a players garage to chat with them, not having to install parts in stages which really lags the garage and servers. Simple things that would really improve the game that so many have asked for. And do you know how many of those things have happened so far? 0 that's how many. Those don't bring profits that's why they haven't been done.
  • Options
    amol1990amol1990 Registered Users 121 Posts
    i just want 5 sets of each fpw. That's the least u can do for me.@rryst
  • Options
    amol1990amol1990 Registered Users 121 Posts
    Oh and I agree with @dwdtuning I would prefer consistent times on equal lobby rated cars. I can't race For pinks or cash. When I can't keep up! Because of flaw in ur games code!
  • Options
    You can't really be patient with the time it takes for parts to install, even with deinstalling parts because a tune that works for multiplayer doesn't work with turf or showdown. So unless you gem install, you may not know where your tune lands until the next time your able to use that car in turf or showdown.

As for the gem install of parts, that's exactly what Glu wants. If you don't believe me trying installing a fresh version of the game. Go through the tutorial and the first chance you get to install a part, the game tells you about speeding up installs with gems and then forces you to do so. They are training new players on using gems for parts... Lmao you have got to be kidding me. The campaign is exactly the same except for the 1st 3 races and the 1st 2 parts you install
  • Options
    rsxpwrrsxpwr Registered Users 59 Posts
    edited July 2016
    New update locks the game when the you use the back button on Android

This issue happens after you claim the free bronze crate, if you go to your garage and try to exit the game using the back button, the game freezes
  • Options
    DerangedMenaceDerangedMenace Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    And messages lag when sending them and there seems to be a connectivity problem
    IGN's Alabama Menace
    256 M3NAC3
    Vouch Page
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://communities.glu.com/racing-rivals/discussion/5354646/derangedmenace-vouch-page-285#latest
  • Options
    DozerboyDozerboy Registered Users 213 Posts
    What a god damn joke. All my Fords tunes checked out in multiplayer and in turf only the Old Focus are good still. How the hell is anyone is doing any tuning I don't know.....
  • Options
    Where is the bug report section for this latest update?? Their are ALL KINDS of issues..........Every other race ends in a tie even with a clear winner ?? And these are people I know, we tested it.. Messaging is bugged... Super laggy, or completely crashes game...Ferrari cars all show to be D class???? D class ENZO?? LOL. Once again some car ratings changed... I thought we were going to be semi informed when huge changes were coming??? And why on earth do you guys insist on doing major updates right before turf starts???? WHY?