Listen up GLU

HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
On behalf of many of us on the forum in regards to the 19 version I'm just gonna leave this here!!!

"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

Prev1

Comments

• Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    @Houmy I’m curious. Briefly explain what this game needs. I’m in agreement, but would love to know what you are looking for. 
  • SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
    I can't speak for @Houmy but for me I just feel like it lacks that spark.  The events have grown stagnant to me.  (Especially Tuesday and the weekends). Royales concept is amazing on the surface but between multipliers and bracket changes I couldn't even tell you how to do well club wise.  Woh DTI is the only thing that challenges me to a point where I know once I get it that first time that "spark" will fly again.  Until that point comes, I just feel like a guy going through the motions helping out his club.  If it wasn't for those guys being great men, I'm not sure I'd even play as much as I do now sadly .
  • sarge268sarge268 Registered Users, Member 80 Posts
    @SakaV2 I agree. Tuesday’s and weekends I only show up for the clash and the CVC events. I work towards tier 6 rewards and stop. I’m still challenged by the HOF/DTI tier of WOH. That’s pretty much my goal right now is to cycle that. That’s really the only thing keeping me going at this point. I don’t know what they need to do to get everyone excited about the game again. 
    @sarge268 tbh even the gifts this year have been crazy slow out the gate.  Especially given the blunders and errors we've endured so early on.  I'm not saying I need a box a day but the rate at which players are being sold for cash and woh being what I think is easier than ever, I just don't see me grinding how I was before.  One thing I can appreciate is the multiple day uses for these guys in boxes, but you're right idk what WILL happen, I just know something NEEDS to happen .  I love this game, but I feel like I love it less than I have in the past.  Perhaps the past has spoiled me and my anticipation of what's to come keeps being cut down by unimpressive rewards.  Orrrrrr maybe I'm a whiny child who needs to be quiet and just enjoy tapping 😎 you be the judge I suppose lol
  • woohoo77woohoo77 Registered Users, Member 300 Posts
    Pushing us to move up tiers but giving out piddly amounts of XP is infuriating.
  • Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Been playing since the first version in 2014. The goal back then was to beat the legend tier CPU team. That was an accomplishment. Last couple of years I didn’t go beyond gold. It’s too much to level up players. I think that what tier you’re in is what player you draft or buy should start at. I.e. if you are gold, then the player you get from WOH would be at g1. Too much resources are spent leveling up players that are maybe 2-3 points higher then the ones you have. Limiting you to waste resources on a small upgrade, instead of using those to go platinum and diamond. Ultimately, I miss the goal of beating the CPU legends team. I think back then I lost 80ish times before I beat them. But it kept me playing. All season long. Spending time to get a bit ahead only allows you to compete as they release primes and then legends. Lastly, I agree with you guys. Prime event on Tuesday and Weekends, rewards do not equal the wins that you get resulting in tougher “forced” tiers. Love this game. Obviously. 6th year in. Just my thoughts....
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I’ve been tappin for 5 years now and couldn’t agree more with you guys. No gold as a weekend reward? Why buy boxes? It seems like a waste of gold to get a 3.5 star guy that you won’t level up or use. Drafting players at your level made the past seasons better due to not wasting a ton of resources to level them up. That’s the reason most people don’t go past gold. Does anybody play games anymore? It seems like it’s all auto play. It used to be fun playing against other teams. I’ve been going back and forth about do I keep tappin or not. I’m leaning towards not and it sounds like plenty of others are also 
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I’m reading a lot of frustration across platforms, a lot of what I’m reading reads like people burnt out too.  There have been some improvements, there also have been a lot of bugs/glitches especially early that were/are showstoppers too.  

They’ve attempted to be a bit more generous (drastically improved box odds that have ranged from 250 gold for 5%, to 500 for 10% and 20% for 700 gold vs 500 gold for 2.5-5% for much of ‘18).  Multiple instances of double gold and social media reward weekends, a WoH tower which was a bit better this week that seemingly has something for most players.

What I would like to see is a new game mode that takes over probably Tuesday and/or Friday as the main event on weekends is a bit too long, and some activities like random events in off hours for those who have odd schedules or time zone issues that won’t let them play during normal event times.  I’m not entirely sure what the answer is, I’m still enjoying myself but I’m able to commit a lot of time which partially offsets the financial disadvantage I have so while I won’t compete against the top 1-5% I can still occasionally when the right conditions present themselves (having 500 bonus games on a Thursday with a few high end bonus players) get a top 5 in a soft bracket.  Should I have a day or two that I’m just not feeling it I just play a little less, the app will be here when I feel like playing.  
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited May 2019
    There's a lot of sameness in 19 from 18 (season schedule is exactly the same, at least for me) but the drive to push you up in tiers is just kind of a buzzkill. I don't recall if it has always been this way but the Royale WoH player reward as bonus for Tournaments is a perfect example of sleight of hand Glu is playing these days. At silver with 75K+ team strength and a 92% win percentage with 1900+ wins I am settling into losing nearly all the time now. Tournaments are impossible for me being matched up against gold teams that never should have gone gold or maybe have a single capped player at g10 that destroy me. I just don't play tournaments. And then to throw in multipliers for bonus and prime games when a prime event took place the day before and bonus game event is about to take place the next day is extremely disappointing. Again, play bonus games, lose and tier up. No thank you, Glu....

Edit: for the record, I never cycled before 19 so I am satisfied with what WoH is now minus the cash-suck stuckness that happens more and more lately. Feel like we're conditioned to throw gold at difficult spots and the game won't progress unless we do.
    I have my idea for the weekend event to be reworked.  There should be a WoH tournament platform Friday and Saturday.  The players you earn on those days are event guys.  Change Sunday to the exclusive prime event where people can grind the guys they earned on Friday and Saturday.  Everyone would say they would just be pounding WoH to the point of no fun anymore but tbh that's the one thing I think people would be okay with seeing more.  
  • TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    I miss the Royale where you had to beat walkoff to get the bonus guys... It gave you a purpose to beat walkoff 
  • TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    Or make Royale a 24 hour event... Tuesday event ends and boom Royale starts.. 

Would be nice to have an event that people in different time zones and shift workers could fully participate in 
  • BOZZCOBOZZCO Registered Users, Member 102 Posts
    "Edit: for the record, I never cycled before 19 so I am satisfied with what WoH is now minus the cash-suck stuckness that happens more and more lately. Feel like we're conditioned to throw gold at difficult spots and the game won't progress unless we do." 

I couldn't agree more with DUSTYHUNKS about throwing gold at difficult situations, it seems like you get to a level and its a shitty outcome over and over.... if you restart from the 
    beginning. drop gold on a restart and BOOM 3 homers in a row and on to the next level. It really is the same with prime events... you cant compete if you dont spend gold to refresh.  It just seems that GLU looks for ever chance they can to charge the customer. I understand its a business but.....  I have spent a bunch of money on this game because i love playing it, but lately i shut the spending down because I no longer see the value, it just seems there isnt enough entertainment for the $$$$ spent.
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    @TheLegend17 I agree with something like this. Being on the east coast its hard with a 2.5 year old and one on the way to stay awake past 10:30 haha. Like this overnight CvC seems cool, but West Coaster have a slight edge because its 9:30 when it starts.
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    @TheLegend17 I agree with something like this. Being on the east coast its hard with a 2.5 year old and one on the way to stay awake past 10:30 haha. Like this overnight CvC seems cool, but West Coaster have a slight edge because its 9:30 when it starts.
    But those on the east coast can finish it in the morning a little easier than those on the west coast. 
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    But those on the east coast can finish it in the morning a little easier than those on the west coast. 
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

I've been trying to place why my interest level has faded so severely.  There are a lot of reasons, but a lot of them existed last year too--yet now they are bothering me more.  In any event, here's my list:

1.  Every player starts at Bronze 1.  This severely disincentivizes me from leveling up to gold or beyond.  How can I afford to level bonus players every day of the week, plus the weekend, when I have to level them from bronze to gold, platinum or diamond? 

2.  The proliferation of bonus players. When bonus points were first introduced, existing players were bonus.  This was kind of fun, waiting to see if you happened to have a bonus guy.  Now, you have to buy a bonus guy, or two, or three, in every event.  The cost is prohibitive and you end up with 7 versions of the same player.  I fully understand that Glu is a business, but monetizing the game has taken a lot of the fun out of it.  There are guys who buy basically every $30 player that is released, and then on the weekends, buy boxes until they have 3 or 4 bonus guys.  I cannot compete with that financially.  There is no strategy or skill; these players are simply more willing to spend real money than I am.  I guess it's like real baseball, the Yankees versus the Royals.  That doesn't mean I have to like it. 

3. Crappy rewards for events.  The prizes for doing well in events are not worth it.  #1 picks are useless to most gamers.  Even XP would be better.  The gold rewards are tough to hit and the amount of gold you earn is far less than what it takes to earn the rewards. 

4. The redundancy of the weekend event.  We already do prime events on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Doing it again from Friday to Sunday is just boring, especially when it costs so much to be competitive.

5. Walkoff hero frustration. On this board, this won't be a popular opinion.  But I don't enjoy the RNG potholes that Glu puts in place.  If i consistently lose at 3.6, 3.8 and 4.6, that's predetermined and lame.  On Wednesdays, putting out reward players who don't make our rosters makes me want to skip the event (I didn't cycle yesterday for the first time in a long time, because it wasn't worth it to me to buy a restart on 4.10).  The cost of restarts is too high.  The "wet noodle" bat syndrome is beyond frustrating--ball comes right down the plate and my specialty 5 star players can only dribble it to 2nd?  Runner on third, no outs, hitter grounds it to the pitcher...and the guy on 3rd runs home?  WHYYYY?  The number of double plays seems to have skyrocketed this year.  Maybe it is because I'm silver, maybe it's because my team isn't too good, but WOH has been way more frustrating for me this year than it was last year, when I cycled multiple times per event.

6. Starting over.  I think this might be the big one for many of us who have played for years.  I like building my team, so it's a Catch-22.  But it's hard to get super excited about a 330 player when a few months ago I had 550 players, and when I know 350 players are just a couple weeks away.  Again, I understand Glu is a business, but having the feeling of them constantly dangling a carrot in front of me that I can never reach makes me feel like a chump.  Viewed objectively, only a fool spends $30 on a video game player who will be obsolete in a month.  Yet I find myself thinking about it every week, and countless others do it. 

7. Box Odds.  I'm actually more at peace with this issue now, perhaps because the odds have improved slightly, and perhaps because I buy fewer boxes due to disinterest.  But those 0-20, 1-30, 1-40 stretches where everything you buy is garbage is really frustrating.  And why insult us by offering useless rewards when we spend serious gold?  Look at POTW boxes.  Great that the odds are 50%, but we're getting a rental, and there's a serious chance I'm walking away with some borderline useless blue xp for my hard earned gold.  That's a slap in the face.  For gamers who spend lots of $, maybe it's no big deal.  For casual gamers, 1100 is a lot of effort (videos) or real money (about $10 real dollars).

In the end, I think it is hard for Glu to keep the game fresh for people who have played for years.  That's not their fault, it's just natural.  I think repetitiveness is inevitable, and in the end that is at the root of the disinterest reported by top Tappers like Houmy, et al. 

• slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    Oh yeah lol you're right. brain malfunction lol
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I miss the Royale where you had to beat walkoff to get the bonus guys... It gave you a purpose to beat walkoff 
    That's kind of where I am at right now as well.   Instead of clearing WOH for hopes of landing a bonus guy who could improve your team, you are forced to either buy a box where the odds arent in your favor (i understand the odds are better this year) or buy a player from the store.  There's only so much grinding you can do just for resources week after week.
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    @Metsicans Well said. I agree with every single one of your points. Maybe it's because I'm also silver and consider myself a casual player (although I'm arguably the most dedicated one in my club), but I feel like you said everything I wanted to say about what makes this game so frustrating.
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Amused_79 said:
    @Houmy I’m curious. Briefly explain what this game needs. I’m in agreement, but would love to know what you are looking for. 
    @Amused_79 it's basically a mix of what others have pointed out in this post and other posts recently. For me the game seems to be about buying a new $30 player through the specials tab every other day now to compete for some measly rewards at the end of the day just to start over again in a day or two with zero sense of accomplishment. The few things that I am very disappointed in would be:

1 - WOH: I started playing in 17 myself and was very happy when WOH was introduced. I could not cycle for the longest time and in fact the 1st cycle was for Ted Williams and that gave me such a great feeling of accomplishment as I knew that I had put together a roster worthy of cycling and was able to get a top player not available elsewhere (until they released the signature version). These days it actually makes more sense to buy the boxes during WOH as you have a chance of getting a comparable or even better player with one or two boxes. I am not being selfish saying that only those who can cycle WOH should have the best players but there should be some players, could be the same level as the highest max current players, reserved for WOH only so that we can feel we actually accomplished something. 

2 - Bronze picks: This would go back to 18 but as you have mentioned yourself the new draft picks starting at B1 is forcing most of us to stay put in lower tiers and not move up through the ranks. The game has become a stressful, and costly, routine of chasing resources now rather than having fun and be excited about new players. I used to open boxes in 17 with such anticipation to see if I get lucky and land a shiny new player to replace my weaker players. Now I open the boxes and sit there hoping it's not someone I'd be forced/tempted to waste resources on only to replace him in 2 or 3 weeks and start over again.

3 - Bugs & glitches: We haven't seen the "oops we need to restart" bug for a few weeks now but it had gotten so bad that I actually stopped playing slugfest once it happened to me on the 1st cycle and simply waited for CS to add the slugger to my roster and didn't bother to play any more that day. Now if the feature of the game glitching were brand new it would be understandable to a certain extent but Slugfest is hardly a new feature.

I could list so many other things but will not as most have already been listed by others and discussed. Now granted GLU does pay attention to the forum posts and will try to improve the app based on feedback they receive as we have already seen with the disappearance of the blue monster in slugfest and redesign of the WOH Tower event so kudos to them for that. I am afraid though most of the changes are just too little too late for me. I have no problem with a P2P app but the money I put in should give me a good return in terms of having fun and not being a testing ground for developers.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    edited May 2019
    CVC also seems broken to me. The club rewards are so much worse than the individual rewards for MVP and Top Round, which usually go to the same player. There should be more incentive for helping your club win. Those who can't ever win MVP and Top Round eventually give up on CVC.
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    No good balance of time spent and money spent to equal a solid team.  It’s all about money spent now.  And the biggest problem is the money spent doesn’t even equal out when it comes to rewards for weekend events.   Spend 20K in gold, rack up the points, help your club finish top 10 and get a small amount of gold back and some #1 draft picks 😂 Kick in the balls every single time!  No other way to put it.  Nothing is special and sacred anymore with new players being offered in the specials tab.  Hard work doesn’t pay off anymore and that doesn’t give too many of us that drive to play like we used to.  
  • JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    woohoo77 said:
    I want to like this statement a million times over!
  • JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    @Houmy #2 is something I can totally relate to! It is sad to complete WOH yesterday for example and really sit there and say, hmmm is it worth moving this guy up to even S10 when I already have a gold Fernando Tatis Jr. as my ss? What the hell was my incentive to beat WOH? The "pride" of it? Or Monday's slap in the face for those who could win the DTI tier and got 25k CASH instead of a prime Yelich. The box should have had Ozuna and you were guaranteed Yelich... and I wasn't even a person ever in the running for Yelich.  
  • LudwigMonsterLudwigMonster Registered Users, Member 381 Posts
    No new in game animations, yet they have time to add fireworks while receiving bxp? zzzz... dohkay.
    Same in game glitches are still there... the triple play BS... the running behind the back popouts... the non-hit that goes to the pitcher, thus getting called out at home... none of this has been fixed even though they've known about it for a solid year.
    Adding useless 4 & 4.5 star players for events that have to be leveled up for small rewards later drives me batty.
    Losing FAR more bonus games that I was easily winning last season, thus costing us more all around.
    Using pitchers far more often as bonus players during events, which in turn forces us to purchase far more ice packs in order to remain competitive. 

All of it points to Glu getting lazy and too profit-focused rather than actually improving the game itself for those of us who have spent hundreds and even (gulp) thousands of dollars on this nonsense.

WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO YOUR USERS!
  • XWizardxXWizardx Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
    Totally agree with your comments @Houmy and @Metsicans.....I did a test of the bonus event by playing tournaments the 2 hours leading up to bonus game event. I used the same lineup and I played all the same teams.. ..routinely winning by 20 plus runs in tourneys but same teams and pitchers in bonus games even with 30K to 40K power advantage and I'm down on average 15 runs/game and either losing games or eking out 1 run wins against teams with way less power. It feels like everything is geared towards spending.

• dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Really. Not to harp on a single flaw but what is the logic behind that @XWizardx (the losing to teams you clearly shouldnt be) other than to get people to foolishly spend resources or money to outclass themselves in the future just to tier up and win again, which isn't even clearly a guarantee? If there's a way Glu wants people to play their game then maybe they need to start paying us to do just that. See how ridiculous that is, Glu??
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    No new in game animations, yet they have time to add fireworks while receiving bxp? zzzz... dohkay.
    Same in game glitches are still there... the triple play BS... the running behind the back popouts... the non-hit that goes to the pitcher, thus getting called out at home... none of this has been fixed even though they've known about it for a solid year.
    Adding useless 4 & 4.5 star players for events that have to be leveled up for small rewards later drives me batty.
    Losing FAR more bonus games that I was easily winning last season, thus costing us more all around.
    Using pitchers far more often as bonus players during events, which in turn forces us to purchase far more ice packs in order to remain competitive. 

All of it points to Glu getting lazy and too profit-focused rather than actually improving the game itself for those of us who have spent hundreds and even (gulp) thousands of dollars on this nonsense.

WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO YOUR USERS!

Those are all good points too.  But the thing is, Glu IS listening to their users...or rather, to their users' spending habits.  People are spending gobs of money and making the game hugely profitable for Glu.  Only when spending declines will Glu actually start listening to the complaints raised in this thread. 
  • woohoo77woohoo77 Registered Users, Member 300 Posts
    KSMETS said:
    woohoo77 said:
    I want to like this statement a million times over!
    I caved and bought two Improve Boxes because I can't get enough XP to go gold.  13% chance at getting 19K blue cash and I got it on both boxes.  Meanwhile I am 0 for 20 on getting a 10% player.  This kind of stuff just frustrates people and makes you question the odds, whether true or not.