Options

POTMs becoming somewhat obsolete?

navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
So yesterday’s WOH prize was a POTM box and today’s cvc mvp prize is the same, yet there are no bonuses for any of the POTMs today. This doesn’t make sense especially considering WOH Monday was a POTM. I really hope this won’t be a trend.
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    They will be arbitrary bonuses a couple more times throughout the month, probably.  I am also surprised that NONE are bonuses today.  I thought maybe Bell, Riley, and/or Giolito would have some value today.
  • Options
    Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
    They changed the box to prime time CvC box. Yaay!
  • Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    They will be arbitrary bonuses a couple more times throughout the month, probably.  I am also surprised that NONE are bonuses today.  I thought maybe Bell, Riley, and/or Giolito would have some value today.
    They might be trying to scale back the scoring opportunity this week. I could be mistaken but I remember there being several bonus players last week, and I had a few of them. The games seem much tougher now too. 

You can't do anything at the club level unless you're in a club of 20 and everyone has at least one bonus player. Maybe they're just wanting the ones for sale today to be used, so clubs who got the bonus players earlier don't have an advantage. Or box sales were way down last Thursday because a ton of bonus players were already in circulation. 
  • Options
    Cooz19 said:
    Or box sales were way down last Thursday because a ton of bonus players were already in circulation. 
    That seems very likely.
  • Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    edited June 2019
    @Cooz19 said:
    You can't do anything at the club level unless you're in a club of 20 and everyone has at least one bonus player. 
    I don’t buy this statement. I’m in a club by myself today and I’m 1st by 28 mil last I looked over 2nd.  The only day I typically finish real low is Monday when I don’t play HOF. 

Im only here because of a very polite gentleman in the 3rd place club, who is also solo 

• Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Well, @Bigpredfan it wouldn't HURT you to have 19 more people, right?!? I'll help you out and bring all 128k of my points to your club. That'll ensure your victory. 
  • Options
    Cooz19 said:
    Well, @Bigpredfan it wouldn't HURT you to have 19 more people, right?!? I'll help you out and bring all 128k of my points to your club. That'll ensure your victory. 
    My highest game today has been 900K. I’ve only won about 175 games so far 
  • Options
    KevoTheGiantKevoTheGiant Registered Users, Member 135 Posts
    I would have liked some of the hitters to be bonus yesterday and in cvc today but I’m just a guy.
  • Options
    slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    Does anyone think its safe to trade in May's POTM? I have Ryu and Devers. They're not bonuses for today and this is the last week of June.
  • Options
    FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,093 Posts
    Does anyone think its safe to trade in May's POTM? I have Ryu and Devers. They're not bonuses for today and this is the last week of June.
    I saw someone say before that you get more bxp when you wait until POTM and POTW lose their boost.  I'll check that after my Josh Bell is no good.
    Just no.  
  • Options
    slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    ah ok cool. Thank you @FrankTheTank04
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Cooz19 said:
    Actually.....lol

Without getting into things, you're not likely to have the same bracket with a full club.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    You'll get more xp after they lose their boost. The more they're leveled, the bigger the difference.
  • Options
    effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    DFBB said:
    You'll get more xp after they lose their boost. The more they're leveled, the bigger the difference.
    About 3000 xp difference between boosted Alonso and non boosted Bruce at gold 10. 
  • Options
    We know POTWs will recycle if they win again, but are we SURE POTMs won't, as well.  I just want to be sure before I dump them for xp.
  • Options
    Tdub71 said:
    We know POTWs will recycle if they win again, but are we SURE POTMs won't, as well.  I just want to be sure before I dump them for xp.
    Yes
  • Options
    Cool.  Thanks.  I need the xp, so 7/1 will be POTM dump day!
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    I pulled Alonso and Blackmon from the POTM boxes and it got me thinking about this thread and what kind of value we actually get from these players.

One of the arguments against them is they lose their boost in 1 month and then are pretty useless. But I thought- aren’t most players only useful for about that long? 

The other argument against them (and as was the original thought in this post) is they are only bonus once or twice. But I thought- isn’t that about all most players are good for, maybe 1 or 2 events?

The only players above 350 that you can get right now other than these guys are primes. In Alonso and Blackmon, I have two outstanding bats- 380 and 390 max- that take blue XP.

Taking all of that into consideration, would I be crazy to cap these guys? Alonso is 380 max and has stacking skills for WOH. Blackmon has pretty darn good skills too, and I have Bell as my closer but this guy would be great as my 2nd best L hitter.

Anybody else have thoughts before I go and pump 700-800k XP into these guys?
  • Options
    @JEDDDOGGY I've been saying that forever! Many cast them aside as rental players, but as you also referenced, most guys are lucky to have a shelf life of a month. If I get Alonso, I'm not hesitating to cap him. Even at full price. I got Blackmon and while he's awesome, he's more  of what I already have.
  • Options
    I love these POtM’s. Especially if you get them early. I have already capped DJ and have Cole to D7
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited July 2019
    I am no longer buying PoTM boxes simply because the massive reduction in value when that month is up. I relied on April P'soTM and it hurt cycling WoH when they were gone. My team was well equipped when May P'soTM fizzled out however and honestly, I barely used Devers while boosted and had bats (multiple) to replace Chavis when he lost his boost. I still have a couple 325 max players that I can use for WoH but I've already traded in all P'soTM. After this weekend I have more than enough players for a while to cover June.

Edit: this is all at gold tier too
  • Options
    I got LeMahieu and Hendriks.  Capped LeMahieu quickly, and working on Hendriks.  Hendriks will probably stay in my bullpen for a long time.  LeMahieu has a blowout skill, so meh...
  • Options
    UltimateWarriorUltimateWarrior Registered Users, Member 543 Posts
    I think I would be more on board on POTM if the POTM was recycled like POTW hint hint 😉 Glu
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nice 👍 glad some peeps agree with me haha. Makes me feel better about it! Blackmon is a big upgrade in my outfield. Have 325 1-skill Renfroe, 325 Dahl and 340 dbl woh skills Meadows there currently. Although I did get 400 Trout and will work on leveling him up.

And, since there were no hugely improved blue xp players in the AS boxes it makes sense I think to use some of the xp that I saved on these guys.
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts

This guy begs to differ @JEDDDOGGY

Yeah, obviously if you still have single skill guys they are worth it (at gold, 800k xp makes me cringe) but a couple 325 guys I have have gotten much more milage put on them for longer. The drop to 320 still doesn’t compare. 
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    I think players of the month are more valuable to people that are set up in a tier they plan on being in for a while. If you're at d6, then your team is probably set up to where a potm can be valuable. If you're still building and climbing up, then I would rather pump resources into a player that has the potential of being around for more than a month. For example, I've had Byron Buxton since sometime in May and he's still my number 2 or 3 righty for woh. I'm starting to expect he won't fall completely off until August 😂 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    Nice 👍 glad some peeps agree with me haha. Makes me feel better about it! Blackmon is a big upgrade in my outfield. Have 325 1-skill Renfroe, 325 Dahl and 340 dbl woh skills Meadows there currently. Although I did get 400 Trout and will work on leveling him up.

And, since there were no hugely improved blue xp players in the AS boxes it makes sense I think to use some of the xp that I saved on these guys.
    It’s different for those of us in diamond. It’s a Prime for a month with BXP
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @dustyhunks we have had 350 blue XP guys for a bit now, he might well be obsolete himself by the time PoTM lose boost (still a month away). 

These guys are rated 30-40 points higher than that and might even stay on my roster longer imo.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    a player that has the potential of being around for more than a month. 
    And what players are those? Lol just sayin, that was part of the argument for them- with the way new players get released the lower rated blue xp players probably won’t last any longer anyway. The primes got a bump this weekend, but blue xp players did not. They’re due for one.
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,722 Posts
    I feel that it depends on your situation. If your main goal is woh and your already set then why do it. I’m not gonna bother with Potw or potm unless I’m desperate. When I do get them from a free box I haven’t leveled them to conserve resources. But if u needed help in woh that would be a different story.