Options

Stale (pt. 2)

BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
So I wanted to bring this discussion back up after doing ten minutes of couch research. Today, we saw a slight improvement in that HOF was given a 420 max, but classic walk off hero still has 350 maxes, no pxp, HOF still has trivial amounts of pxp, and Slugfest is just plain dead. And, I would say that we have actually gone backwards, since pxp was extremely low in weekend boxes. So I wanted to see what we were getting at this time last year. As you can see, we had (albeit single skill) 445 max potm players as the walkoff hero reward in early august. Think about that. 100 extra max overall than what we have right now. In late July, we had prime players as the walk off hero reward. And, we also had prime xp and sluggers in Slugfest. Glu, this is what I'm unhappy about. We have an unprecedented redundancy and repetitiveness in this game, and we are 100 points of overall behind where we were last year, since last year had no HOF version of walk off hero. This is unacceptable and costing you money, and it's costing us enjoyment.
Prev13

Comments

• Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    edited August 2019

I like you @BlackFang4, but I've been drinking ad have no idea what the complaint is. I don't like that Soto 😂
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    What a show off. Geez, did you ever that pizza? lol
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    No @dkarski87 I'm waiting on my burger now 😢
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @retirepujols I would hate for you to agree with me; that would mean I had some terrible ideas. 😂
  • Options
    mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    I remember cycling for that Soto last year. Last year was just more fun for a multitude of reasons. Bring back 18 
  • Options
    I'm just saying, that Soto has +10 hit and only one skill, and he was only a potm. I don't even know what slugfest is, but I'll take today's guy over Soto 🤪 
  • Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    edited August 2019
    The main difference I see is not in the picture. It’s in the 15 tries against Diaz. Walk-off was nearly impossible this time last year. 

I seriously doubt we see BXP players above 350 for another 2-3 months. I think it’s tike we accept that and move on. Black Friday sales are when they really picked up again with BXP players, minus a few 420 who only had 1-skill
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    They bring Diaz back for a week and this place would burn to the ground, be careful what you wish for lol, the players this year have lower overalls, but with 2 skills and in many cases stacking skills they’re really close in the end, especially in the case of primes.  The tower is pretty decent, a few tweaks (a mid level prime 390-400 for All Star, and high end primes continuing in HoF, and for classic slightly boosted level rewards and maybe 360-370 blue players for the upper division guys to field good teams)
  • Options
    I would rather clear walk off hero once and get 450 players than clear it fifteen times for another meaningless player.
  • Options
    If I was gold or lower than yes I would prefer 1 cycle for a stud as opposed to a 350 player. But

that 1 cycle was usually the result of a lot of restarts and boosts. 

And the “useless” player was actually very useful today. Cycling him up from P10 to D10 and then one more cycle for good measure allowed me to move a keeper from gold 7 to platinum 9 with the duplicate BXP. If I choose to level the skills on the useless player, he would be my 3rd best lefty (I probably will trade him in for another 19K BXP Wednesday though). Not too bad for free as opposed to spending 3-4K gold 
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    The game is stale for bxp players. Classic is for guys who just jumped tiers and need to get their feet wet and build resources. HoF is LIT! If guys want good players, that's where they need to spend their time. My team is pretty decent and it's due to HoF.

PS: That Soto was horrible. Okay, maybe he wasn't horrible, but he was far from elite. I've heard the argument many times actually, but people tend to have fond memories of last year's WoH. I actually have sceenshots of almost every event and it wasn't until the end of the year when the rewards really jumped. At this time last year, it was hell. No thanks to grinding all day just to beat woh two to three times.

PSS: I challenge anyone to show me a player reward from WoH last year(pre-september) that had more of an impact than the current HoF rewards. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Games a grind till after the seasons over, then they get allot more generous with the rewards.
  • Options
    HaraycarayHaraycaray Registered Users, Member 910 Posts
    We got 360 BXP players for players weekend last year. 
  • Options
    @Haraycaray With 2skills? :)
  • Options
    🙄 nooooo, but I’m getting at that it’s holding somewhat true to last year. 
  • Options
    Is this Harper THAT much better than any of the 350 max dudes we got from the ASG boxes this year? Nooooooo. I’m starting to think that we shouldn’t look at max overall numbers this year and compare them to last season. 
  • Options
    If we got a 360 player with that stat line we’d all lose our minds right? 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Below, is a current snapshot of my WoH bats. If you notice, there's exactly two non-woh related bat in there. My keepers were leveled because of the generous repull value of cycling classic in diamond. The rest are WoH player rewards. Every Monday, I'm excited as hell to see the HoF reward. It's always fun to add a potential game changing player.
    In short, if you find the game  to be stale and  you're still doing classic, maybe it's time to change course. 

• Options
    But, but, but, KEEPERS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE 
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I went heavy into PotM players this month as a few of them drop to the 370 range while the rest will go back to 350.  Leveling 3 of those into high diamond depleted my exp stash so I just decided to bang out classic, 32 wins today because I had basically the entire day to myself.  Even after I got my PotW players bought and leveled to P10 I still ended up with 300k left over.  Even the bat offered today was pretty high quality if you’re not flush with prime players.  I’m able to do HoF and while it may take an additional investment into pxp I wasn’t willing to do yet to get things off the ground if needed I can make the pivot.  Glu could make things a little more interesting by putting a different reward for all star at this point I won’t touch it because it’s not worth a 4% better chance at a prime from a box if I can get 30 pulls at 2%, vs say 8-10 pulls at 6% because of the increased difficulty.
  • Options
    snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    I had my first HOF win tonight. Pretty excited about it! 😁 I always played classic or All-Star. Got bored and tried HOF. I’m happy I did! It was frustrating at first, but once I found out what batters to use, it was fun. 
  • Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Clearly, no one looks at Classic next to HOF and thinks "Classic has better rewards." The staleness being referenced here (not a feeling I necessarily share) is due to the fact HOF is pretty much impossible to beat until you get to a certain point. That point is a combination of having high-level players and a good amount of experience with the game. 

Seems simple and stupid, but you don't gain players by not gaining players. Ya gotta get the horses to pull the sled before you can run them in the race. Resources become an issue too. If you level every player you get, you're gonna run out pretty quickly. But saving resources for the "right" players requires you to...get the right players.  

And that HOF player is usually a pretty damn nice player. so your team is a lot better. But it takes more than just one guy to beat that level. So the grind is in building the resources at the lower tiers. It's reasonable to see how that gets stale. 

Sorry for the ramble, but I guess in short a better response to "classic is getting stale" is partially "you need to beat HOF" and partially "you need to find better players than what we should expect to get at the classic level of woh." 
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Yeah I don't get the complaints any more to be honest. I have a nearly all bxp player team, just went platinum Thursday and cycled my face off without live boost until 8pm. Even got a late start (only 3-4 cycles by 7pm). Cycle capped McMahon, bumped 3 player's skills to 8/8 and capped Arrieta from p6 for non-bonus game ace and I still have over 70k xp from the day. If classic changed or didn't exist I would be stuck grinding away for the minuscule event rewards.

I stayed away from the forum initially but could still hear the collective groan when I saw the rewards. Honestly though, Goins and Mcmahon are my best lefty WoH bats right now so you will hear no complaints from me any time soon.
  • Options
    Yea alot of complaining about the WOH,  simple if you find it stale and boring then cycle cap HOF and build some pxp.  Most people here didn't play during the diaz days and have no idea what it was like. 1 cycle and done is fine when your silver or gold, its cheap to level players. Not possible in higher tiers. And the reason there hasn't been a bump in bxp is exactly what was stated here, a 350 with 2 skills is almost as good a prime 380/400 with 1 skill when you factor in skills. Thats why they leave them at 350, sure I would love some  370 bxp guys but Im not holding my breath.

Game is stale? Then dont play, WOH is about 1 thing!  Resource building, plain and simple. The player could be crap but I will still cycle cap him for the resources I make doing it. Stop your complaining.
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    Those Diaz days being referenced are the reason I just decided to leave gold and go straight to diamond. Walk-off was so infuriating that I quit walk-off for about 3-4 months. 
  • Options
    Im just waiting for all the disagrees,( @BlackFang4 )  lmao. I dont care for the players they offer. I play for resources.  Yesterday thanks to @DFBB I cycle capped HOF for the first time.  I was scared I wouldn't have enough time so I took him d5 and finished him off. I was done with 4.5 hrs left to spare, next week will be better. So if you find it stale, move up and give yourself a challenge.
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    8ball028ball02 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Like a couple of others I never cycled WOH once last year.  So the fact that I’ve been able to do so this year through the knowledge I’ve picked up here or the game being more friendly I am stoked about.  Up until yesterday even with what I thought was a stacked gold team it was a grind to cycle more than an 2-3 times and I would get into a rut where I would spend a buttload of cash.  I jumped to Platinum last Thursday and quickly went through my resources.  I was nervous about WOH but was pleasantly surprised I could cycle at a much much easier rate.  McMahon helped me replace my All Star La Stella with mediocre skills.  I was able to cycle cap him yesterday, got a upgrade at a position and a big haul in resources.  So for me I was thrilled about yesterday.
  • Options
    benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    That lefty bat reward at classic yday was nothing to be sniffed at - hit and power is up there with the best 350 players out there and hes a lefty with double stacking WOH skills. A great addition for all those mid level righty pitchers in HOF.

I think the balance right now is spot on - HOF is a rush when your facing the last few on level 6 and you have your video replay in your pocket. Especially at gold level where the difficulty is hard but doable with some planning and patience.

I keep a list of which batters I use on which pitcher for 5 and 6, and after experimenting and finding the best match ups it makes it so much quicker and less stress the following weeks - until they tweak the pitchers of course!
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    I must have started playing right after the Neris/Diaz stuff. Super glad I missed out on that. I dug this up, which is a good read if you are as curious as I was as to how much it actually sucked - https://communities.glu.com/more-games/discussion/5447205/absolute-bullshit-glu-woh - most people could not beat it with their ATGs no matter how many times they tried.

By the time I had begun to play, it was kind of the same as it is now. Everything was all about the primes and legends. Primes were anywhere between 410 and 440, legends were coming out around 450 to 475. I remember my first legend was Gaylord Perry from fan rewards. He was 465 max. Any regular blue xp players were 360 to 375, and they stayed there for the remainder of 18. Premium blue xp players will certainly be available at some point, but they won't ever be the norm (we had this discussion last week).

The game was getting stale when we were stuck on 400 primes for two months or however long it was, but I have some renewed interest now with legends and higher max primes now available. My only hope is that they make prime and legend xp more obtainable. The math on these is ridiculous - it's like $1000 real cash for a capped legend (and that's if you are gold tier, forget it if you are diamond or platinum). And the cost of primes is still not far behind that.

• Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

I'm generally fine with what Glu has done with WOH.  I thought they stuck with 400 primes maybe a bit too long, and releasing 3Bs as the HOF reward for two weeks running was a little lame, but overall these are nits.  Like others have said, I look forward to HOF now, to see what kind of player I can add each week.  That's the most fun I have in this game.

My main concern is with the midyear reduction in available PXP.  Yes, they added PXP to season rewards, which was huge.  22.5K PXP is available every 10 days or so.  But reducing the amount of PXP in the boxes was a huge blow.  I'm now looking at being able to cap only one prime per week.  I understand keeping LXP limited at this stage, and can deal with the very long amount of time it will take me to level Edgar.  But if I can't readily level the primes--the only players that can realistically add value to my gold team--then I'm going to get frustrated quickly.  That's when the game gets stale: when I have better guys but no resources to level them.

Spending 500 gold for 300 LXP, or 1000 PXP, is kind of a slap in the face.  Especially when the PXP was like 2800 or 3800 just a couple weeks ago.