Should We Use GOLD or DIAMONDS for UPGRADES? Well it depends on a few assumptions, as follows ...
Let's first look at the threshold OR break even point where the intrinsic value of DIAMONDS equals that of GOLD. It is also assumed that the player is pretty well caught up and no more than one BASE TIER below the prevailing level. This does NOT necessarily exclude lower TIERS, on the contrary it works BEST at lower levels since the cost of upgrades are cheaper, so the numbers quoted would be reduced accordingly, in particular, diamonds production. We had to start somewhere so I chose the most expensive scenario possible. Based on player input, I shall produce examples that include all of the TIER LEVELS.
(1) I have taken an aggregate of the cost to upgrade a newly acquired weapon, for example. I've calculated that 300 GOLD is equal in "value" to 1.58 MILLION DIAMONDS. This figure is based mainly upon the cost of collecting those diamonds, which typically come from competing in PvP battles.
Next we need to determine how many DIAMONDS we can expect to collect from a PvP victory.
(2) The return from a PvP battle must be at least 35K DIAMONDS to make it cost effective to pay for upgrades using DIAMONDS.
(3) If your average take in DIAMONDS from PvP battles is LESS THAN 35,000 per victory, then it is most likely cheaper to pay for upgrades using GOLD since it will cost you more GOLD to win those DIAMONDS.
(4) If your average diamonds take is GREATER THAN 35,000 then it's best to use DIAMONDS for upgrades.
Now we need to consider the relative cost of collecting DIAMONDS. If you're using GOLD that was acquired other than by paying for it using REAL MONEY, then the following does not apply; the above should provide you with enough information to make an informed decision as to whether to use DIAMONDS or GOLD for upgrades.
(5) This is very subjective and depends in large part on why a given player is competing in PvP. Simply put, if you are competing solely for the purpose of collecting diamonds, then losses are important because the net take is ZERO for the battle and consequently lowers the average take per battle.
(6) Additionally, since you're competing to collect diamonds, WIN STREAKS become somewhat less important, but the LOSS that resulted in a broken win streak is as important as any loss in the context that it will lower your average take in diamonds.
Now this is still a work in progress and needs further work and refining, but it should provide the basic information needed to make the decision as to whether to use DIAMONDS or GOLD.
Next up ... I will explore the "actual" costs of performing upgrades when using DIAMONDS.
PLEASE ... any input is not only welcomed, but expected. I need input from as many players, as possible, at varying levels and stages of the game to further refine these estimates. I would ask you to provide the cost of typical upgrades such as weapons or base using GOLD and DIAMONDS.
Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION