Forum Moderation, Diversity & Show Your Style

Comments

• PrincessCDettePrincessCDette Registered Users, Member 413 Posts
    Just say racism and racist acts are allowed on this forum and go.
    But be aware that no is going to stop calling people out for their racial insensitivity or worse because a couple of non BIPOC people decided that defending ourselves is bullying, which it's not btw.
    I'm a feminist, activist, fangirl, princess and a pet parent. Yes, a princess AND a feminist. The duality in my personality makes me great! 
    Android User off an on from 2014

• AnnaKKH_AnnaKKH_ Registered Users, Member 186 Posts
    edited April 2021
    What a load of bullsh*t
  • UnwinterUnwinter Registered Users, Member 597 Posts
    @abasili93 you say you're willing to educate yourself and yet you're still pointing out things that have been already discussed several times. I don't get what's so hard in accepting the fact that many actions done on the forum are racist and offensive. 
    'cultural appropriation is not everywhere perceived in the same way' you're right, but guess what? It's still cultural appropriation (you yourself said you understand) and it's still deeply offensive
    And yes, there MIGHT be some instance where you (general you) don't know the context but we're literally STILL discussing hair and skin color. Imagine, 2021 and POC still have to tell people why it's offensive 
    "It's just a game" please refer to the previous pages
    "less shady than you may think" also refer to the previous pages. Lack of actions, lack of transparency, banning unfairly and keeping racists unbanned after they've said disgusting comments is to say the very very least NOT it. It stopped being unintentional a LONG while back
    Android Player, A++
    Unwinter KKH on Facebook
  • Lilith_KKHLilith_KKH Registered Users, Member 182 Posts
    edited April 2021
    abasili93 said:
    Calling ignorant or racist a person just for asking (which has been done in this forum) is bullying imho. 
    "Ignorant" literally just means you are unknowledgeable about something. That is not bullying.

Everyone is racist. Unlearning racism is part of learning. Saying you aren't racist in defense mode is the opposite of unlearning white supremacy. Calling someone racist is not bullying, and if you think it is, you're part of the problem.
    IOS Player - Level 50

Nonbinary - They/He
  • abasili93abasili93 Registered Users 331 Posts
    edited April 2021
    FB Player since 2015 - Android since 2020 🌙
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
    English is not my first language 🇮🇹
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
    abasili93 said:
    It's unfair that you still have to explain your reasons, but calling out people ignorant or white privileged (without even knowing them and, worse, without caring about knowing them) because you want them to know exactly how to feel for smth that doesn't belong to them historically, geographically, culturally is not the best way imho.
    Still, I support your cause, whether you (general you) believe it or not.
    Again: ignorant just means you don't know something. We're all ignorant about certain things. That's not an insult.

If you're white you have white privilege. End of.
    IOS Player - Level 50

Nonbinary - They/He
  • KkhElenaKkhElena Registered Users, Member 768 Posts
    And forgot to add, if you're refusing to accept that white privilege is a thing and that you may have it, you're still a big part of the problem.

People here are tired and this free emotional labor isn't what any of us signed up for when we were born yet we have to experience it. Bc of what? Bc people think that we're this big fluffy people who will gladly tell you things that you learn in 8th grade or that you could learn if you did a quick Google research.

Bc at the end of the day, while it is my culture, YOU'RE the one who's so keen about to use it until the internet says it's not trendy anymore so I shouldn't be here and telling you what you should already know.

edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
    @abasili93 "calling out people ignorant or white privileged... because you want them to know exactly how to feel for something that doesn't belong to them... is not the best way" i don't even know where to begin with this. If someone tells you you're being offensive towards their culture and then you still continue being offensive while refusing to educate yourself, they're not being ignorant or racist?? Because that's basically the definition or at least part of it.
    "It's unfair that you still have to explain your reasons" "I'm still pointing out things already discussed as you are doing" Do you not see the issue here?
    Also, your original post is down/deleted, idk if that's a glitch on my part or that you realized that some things shouldn't have been said
    Android Player, A++
    Unwinter KKH on Facebook
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
    Clearly you're not interested in having an actual conversation since you keep repeating the same things no matter how much we tell you in detail why you're wrong.
    IOS Player - Level 50

Nonbinary - They/He
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
  • astaasta Registered Users, Member 669 Posts
    i can only speak from my own experience but i firmly believe that the reason the discussions about this gets heated is because people refuse to listen, when they do something problematic.

a while back i made a really insensitive joke about the design of a hairstyle. my joke was stupid and not that funny, but when i made it i had no bad intentions.

i was very politely (and it didn’t need to be polite, but it was) called out for it, so i apologized and learned something from it. it was explained to me, why what i did was wrong. this was really helpful, and it made me broaden my understanding of what can be hurtful and insensitive in a situation like this.

when i see people call out problematic and insensitive behavior it’s not an attack or bullying. if people would just listen when they’re called out, it could be a very important learning experience for them. POC’s don’t ever have to take the time to educate stupid melanin deficient people like me, but in the forum a lot of people actually take out their time to do so. this isn’t an attack, it’s honestly just really helpful, if you just take the time to listen and not just get angry or defensive.

so stop blaming the people who get hurt, for starting a conversation where they take their time to correct others. the problem is the people who get really hostile when they’re called out, and double down on their problematic or racist behavior. that’s the problematic behavior, and that’s what needs to be fixed.
    the people in this forum are privileged enough to have someone who takes the time to explain to them why what they’re doing is wrong.

tldr; stop blaming the people who are discriminated against for starting a conversation. they don’t have to educate anybody, so we’re really lucky they actually do.
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
  • RRMRRM Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    @abasili93   No you haven't been subjected to racist comments for being Italian. No one can be racist towards you for being Italian. Racism has to do with race not country of origin smh. Maybe they were being prejudiced against you but not racist. BIG difference.
     Before you share your opinion I think you should do some research and look up the words you're using.
  • kkhcaitykkhcaity Registered Users, Member 24 Posts
    abasili93 said:
    clearly here I don't see anyone who want to be part of the solution.
    The people here who want to be 'part of the solution' are the ones calling out racist behaviour and thoughts.

And if you're white, you have white privilege. It doesn't matter that you're Italian in that context. Italian is your ethnicity. Even though culture/ethnicity and race are often used interchangeably, they're different. Google is free.
    So just so I am clear, this whole thing was just so you'd say "asking about cultural appropriation isn't racist"? If so, here's another question: you thought the best thing to do was to come and say this in a thread that was specifically started after people called out forum members who were being racists (and no they didn't ask questions)? And after the people who were being offensive didn't get banned? idk, were you not reading what's been going on?
    Also, did you just try and pull the reverse racism card?? wow.
    Android Player, A++
    Unwinter KKH on Facebook
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
  • RRMRRM Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    edited April 2021
    @abasili93 listen, I get it, maybe in other countries issues of cultural appropriation and blackface aren't talked about as much as other places. I know in my home country some of these issues are widely unknown. (But it STILL EXISTS!!)
    However the key thing here is that when people talk about it, you need to listen AND follow it up with your own research. When you're being called out, you need to digest this information and, again, follow it up with your own research.

People here aren't upset that others dont know what these terms mean, they get upset when they try to explain why something is offensive and others don't listen and dismiss their concerns.
    abasili93 said:

If you're white you have white privilege. End of.

So we are condemned to pay the debts of some bunch of White assh*les from other countries for the rest of our lives, no matter how pure and genuine and correct we are. That's not racist at all.
    What debt are you condemned to pay exactly?
    IOS Player - Level 50

Nonbinary - They/He
    edited April 2021
    Level 74 - 1st A+++ ✨
  • KkhElenaKkhElena Registered Users, Member 768 Posts
    edited April 2021
    @abasili93 where in my comment did I say that everyone in Italy was racist? I didn't even know you where from Italy and if you want I'm gonna share some of my racist experiences while living in Germany too so my point can get through your head that I was simply showing that America isn't the only place w racism or cultural appropriation bc a lot of the people here wanna act as if the only place with ignorance and racism is America.

I was not generalizing as nowhere did I mention that everyone in Italy acts like that bc that's a fat lie but I won't sit here and lie to you that I didn't experience racism there when I was little and wasn't aware of it while those weren't the only forms of racism that I had experienced. Every place has that group of people but acting as if America is the only one (mostly bc of its influencers and celebrities) is a big strecht

Btw never said that everys single type of discrimination that was thrown at was in Italy as I've experienced the same thing here in Germany. Pls do not put words into my mouth